Woodnet Forums
Pile of scraps, reduced - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Pile of scraps, reduced (/showthread.php?tid=7361771)

Pile of scraps, reduced - bandit571 - 03-24-2021

Roh-kay, Raggy.....in the course of some of the projects....I have had to rip a board for width....About 1/2 the time, I wind up saving the strip of whatever I was working with....after a while, the pile seems to grow....and...grow....until one day...decided to cull the herd, as it were....Bundle up a stack, take over to the bandsaw.   Space between the riser and the blade is ~12" or so....run the stack through....keep the better looking of that stack....cut-offs this time around?    Either they are over 12" or they are into the trashcan....
Uhoh

Arrange the pile into a panel of sorts...joint the edges that need it (most did..) and clamp up into a glued up panel...
Winkgrin  
[attachment=34329]
Let this sit a day....come back and trim the ends...
[attachment=34330]
A few had slipped aside a bit...while removing the clamps....panel was stuck to the vise's jaw...dummy decided to bare-hand slap the panel loose..
No  
[attachment=34331]
Them little points of dried glue are SHARP!...
Upset
[attachment=34332]
So...tried to flatten the point, and other high spots....jointer plane AND 80 grit beltsander....panel "objected" to the beltsander, and hopped off the bench, unto the floor..
[attachment=34333]
Ok...just made things easier....ripped the worst off the outside edges, jointed a new glue joint..
[attachment=34334]
Then a dry fit..
Winkgrin
[attachment=34335]
I think that will do...this time the glue up was far from the wood vise...so it won't get "stuck"..
Rolleyes 
[attachment=34336]
Let this sit a day...or two ( was working on the new shed...)
Next time I went to the shop ( Laundry Detail, again)  removed the clamps, sanded and plane both faces smooth....easier to move around on the bandsaw table..
Small can of varnish provided a way to mark 4 curves....then sand the curves, and a slight round over..
[attachment=34337]
Go out and spend $2 on a bottle of Mineral Oil.....brush on, wipe down...
[attachment=34338]
Allow to dry....will add a few more coats, later.  

Total cost?.....$1.98+ sales tax....
Winkgrin
Size?  5/8" x 10-1/4" x 11"

Not sure what all the woods are....
Just a way to use up a few scraps.....the stuff that went into the trashcan?    Well, there is a Firepit out in the backyard....when the 35gal. can is full...we can go out and roast...something....
Winkgrin