Woodnet Forums
What screws to use for kitchen cabinets - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: What screws to use for kitchen cabinets (/showthread.php?tid=7362015)

Pages: 1 2

What screws to use for kitchen cabinets - goaliedad - 04-03-2021

I am going to be installing kitchen cabinets next week. What type of screws do you recommend?

RE: What screws to use for kitchen cabinets - Snipe Hunter - 04-03-2021

(04-03-2021, 07:01 AM)goaliedad Wrote: I am going to be installing kitchen cabinets next week. What type of screws do you recommend?

GRK #8 3-1/8 washer head cabinet screws.

HD also sells a brand called SPAX. I've had issues with them like breaking and dull tips. The GRK are much stronger steel and very sharp. It comes with the driver tip in the box

RE: What screws to use for kitchen cabinets - MT Woodworker - 04-03-2021

Last ones I hung, and also helped a friend, I used a french cleat for the uppers, sooo much easier
For lowers I agree, washer head cabinet screws

RE: What screws to use for kitchen cabinets - Roly - 04-03-2021

(04-03-2021, 07:27 AM)MT Woodworker Wrote: Last ones I hung, and also helped a friend, I used a french cleat for the uppers, sooo much easier
For lowers I agree, washer head cabinet screws

I also used a french cleat as I was hanging them by myself, but then used the washer head screws to go thru everything and into the stud.  I used the same ones as snipe hunter used    Roly

RE: What screws to use for kitchen cabinets - AUswimKC - 04-03-2021

Another GRK fan here! Have probably a dozen plastic containers in different sizes and configurations.

RE: What screws to use for kitchen cabinets - museumguy - 04-03-2021

I prefer these. https://www.quickscrews.com/product/13794 They come in painted white heads if that would be a better match as well as plain zinc. I like the 3" or 3 1/2" length the best.

RE: What screws to use for kitchen cabinets - Snipe Hunter - 04-03-2021

(04-03-2021, 08:08 AM)AUswimKC Wrote: Another GRK fan here! Have probably a dozen plastic containers in different sizes and configurations.

I'm in the process of building shelves in the garage... Using these screws for everything. They work well as pocket screws also.

RE: What screws to use for kitchen cabinets - Turner52 - 04-03-2021

As stated above use the grx screws. Don't even think about drywall or decking screws. They are too brittle and can snap with too much weight in the cabinet. Dishes really add up quick. We did one insurance job where a contractor was installing new vinyl siding and as his men were nailing on the siding they heard a horrible crash inside. Uppers had fallen off the wall. They had probably been up there for 20 years or so, but the vibration from pounding caused the drywall screws to fail. Heck of a mess. Fortunatly nobody was home and got hurt.

RE: What screws to use for kitchen cabinets - KC - 04-03-2021

(04-03-2021, 07:24 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: GRK #8 3-1/8 washer head cabinet screws.

HD also sells a brand called SPAX. I've had issues with them like breaking and dull tips. The GRK are much stronger steel and very sharp. It comes with the driver tip in the box

I've used a LOT of SPAX and don't recall any issues with even one.  FWIW...

RE: What screws to use for kitchen cabinets - goaliedad - 04-03-2021

Thanks. I picked up 3 inch GRK today.