Woodnet Forums
Decorating Trends That Date Your Home - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Decorating Trends That Date Your Home (/showthread.php?tid=7362284)

Pages: 1 2 3

Decorating Trends That Date Your Home - Cooler - 04-16-2021

Elle Decor, the home decorating magazine listed 54 design trends that date your home as old-fashioned.

I've found myself guilty of using Mason jars, Edison lights and wood countertops.

Not guilty:  Of zebra rugs, lace table clothes, fake fruit and shag carpet.

Check to see how you fare (shown in a series of slides, click the arrows to the right or left to scroll through the 54 design faux pas'.)

https://www.elledecor.com/design-decorate/trends/g9169186/outdated-home-decor-trends/?slide=1

RE: Decorating Trends That Date Your Home - K. L. McReynolds - 04-16-2021

When we bought our current house in 2008, I found only the two bathrooms had been updated since the house was built in 1965. New siding had been installed, at some point a new roof, but all the interior trim/cabinets/electrical fixtures were still original.

RE: Decorating Trends That Date Your Home - stav - 04-16-2021

Edison bulbs and granite counters are my only faux pas.  Not sure what you can have for counters now if tile, wood and granite are all out.

RE: Decorating Trends That Date Your Home - Bill Wilson - 04-16-2021

(04-16-2021, 12:04 PM)stav Wrote: Edison bulbs and granite counters are my only faux pas.  Not sure what you can have for counters now if tile, wood and granite are all out.

Keep 'em.  They'll eventually come back into style.  
Laugh

RE: Decorating Trends That Date Your Home - Cooler - 04-16-2021

I am going to install Silly Putty™ counter tops.  With Silly Putty™ counter tops you can forget about breaking glassware.  The S-P absorbs shock and prevents glassware from rolling of the edge of the counter.  Recondition it by simply using a rolling pin.  
Big Grin

RE: Decorating Trends That Date Your Home - EatenByLimestone - 04-16-2021

My kitchen was put in in 1946.    I imagine I'm dated at every turn.

RE: Decorating Trends That Date Your Home - FS7 - 04-16-2021

Granite is still the main countertop material used in new home construction - and by that I mean it's almost universal. Edison bulbs are a decor choice, as are mason jars and word art. While many of those on the list are truly throwbacks, some are just plain wrong (granite countertops) and others are extraneous (bulbs and small decor can be moved or changed quickly).

Of the countertop materials used today, granite and uniform (or relatively uniform) solid surface are the safest design choices. At this point stainless steel appliances fall into that category (along with white). Some design trends stay, while others (things like vessel sinks) are clearly not long for this world.

RE: Decorating Trends That Date Your Home - Snipe Hunter - 04-17-2021

I'm seeing all sorts of things in the high end remodeled homes. Soapstone, quartzite, granite. A lot of butcherblock on islands and as other accents. Something I'm seeing recently is what looks like phenolic... like the old circuit boards. It's always the same color and made from recycled paper and resin. The rich folks love it. New homes will have the cheaper black or beige granite, remodels will usually have quartzite because there so many colors and patterns available. I am seeing far less protruding "Farm" sinks and vessel bathroom sinks now. Bad ideas. What I can't stand is the sink and tub stopper where you have to reach into the water and press the stopper to open the drain. How stupid is that? And far less waterfall sink spigots. Seeing more and more floor tile and more hardwood kitchen and bathroom floors. Far less carpeting... about time. Many people won't buy a house with carpeting unless there's already hardwood under it. Same with aluminum screen/sun rooms, they can really hurt the sellability. Nothing beats a great front yard.

Kind of hard to see in this photo but it's the phenolic type countertop. Look at the kitchen photos. I inspected this house yesterday. look at the kitchen pics

RE: Decorating Trends That Date Your Home - EricU - 04-17-2021

(04-17-2021, 06:41 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Kind of hard to see in this photo but it's the phenolic type countertop. Look at the kitchen photos. I inspected this house yesterday. look at the kitchen pics
Looks like the realtor doesn't like that kind of countertop or they would have taken a picture of it.

What is the floor with the square accent made from?  

That house is going to look dated in 5 years.  I guess you have to decide if things like that matter, or if you are going to chase the ephemera of "up to date" style.

I thought the zebra carpet picture was pretty funny.  Everything is wrong with that room, it even has wallpaper on the ceiling. Zebra carpet is the least of your worries, it could be gone in a few seconds.

I am sure the things in that article make a difference to some people, but it seems more aimed towards people that want their house to be up to date and not home sellers.  So that when their snobby friends come over they don't judge.  Get rid of those "friends," problem solved.

RE: Decorating Trends That Date Your Home - msweig - 04-17-2021

OMG that house actually had the floor plan.  I don't know about other places but here in Houston you rarely see a floor plan with a listing, pretty much only on new homes, and even then it is somewhat rare. Such a PITA. 

Mark