Woodnet Forums
Mortise Chisel Set - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Mortise Chisel Set (/showthread.php?tid=7362595)

Pages: 1 2

Mortise Chisel Set - Mike 55 - 05-02-2021

Hi guys,

After 25 + years of service the chisel set I bought from Woodworkers Warehouse needs to be replaced. I have a Powermatic machine. Looking for a quality set as I have many projects I'm working on. 

Thanks

Mike

RE: Mortise Chisel Set - fredhargis - 05-02-2021

I nominate Fisch. I had a Clico, which is a very good one, but I think they may have went out of business.

RE: Mortise Chisel Set - KC - 05-02-2021

(05-02-2021, 03:42 PM)fredhargis Wrote: I nominate Fisch. I had a Clico, which is a very good one, but I think they may have went out of business.

I've used Fisch in the past, but have had plenty of good use from a JET set.

RE: Mortise Chisel Set - lift mechanic - 05-02-2021

Grizzly has a mortise chisels made in Japan sold individually, not your "made in China".

RE: Mortise Chisel Set - museumguy - 05-02-2021

Are mortise chisels a "one size fits all" when it comes to any brand fitting any machine? I have some Ridgid chisels, NOS, and was always curious what machines they would fit. Maybe they will fit the OP's machine

RE: Mortise Chisel Set - Mike 55 - 05-02-2021

(05-02-2021, 03:42 PM)fredhargis Wrote: I nominate Fisch. I had a Clico, which is a very good one, but I think they may have went out of business.

Thanks, not easy to find a set of 4. There website does not sell direct. Found them at CT Power Tools in CT. $209 with free shipping. Pricey but if they are worth it they should last the rest of my woodworking days.

RE: Mortise Chisel Set - Bill_de - 05-02-2021

(05-02-2021, 08:30 AM)Mike 55 Wrote: Hi guys,

After 25 + years of service the chisel set I bought from Woodworkers Warehouse needs to be replaced. I have a Powermatic machine. Looking for a quality set as I have many projects I'm working on. 

Thanks

Mike

Amazon has Fisch and Powermatic brands.

Fisch Hollow Mortise Chisel Set (1/4") - Kit Includes Premium Mortiser and Bit, Fits All Mortising Machines and Drill Press Attachments - Crafted from Quality Tool Steel - FSG-096177 - Made in Austria - Metalwork Chisels - Amazon.com

---

RE: Mortise Chisel Set - Mike 55 - 05-02-2021

(05-02-2021, 09:53 PM)Bill_de Wrote: Amazon has Fisch and Powermatic brands.

Fisch Hollow Mortise Chisel Set (1/4") - Kit Includes Premium Mortiser and Bit, Fits All Mortising Machines and Drill Press Attachments - Crafted from Quality Tool Steel - FSG-096177 - Made in Austria - Metalwork Chisels - Amazon.com

---

Bill,

Thanks for the link. This is just for one bit and not a set. I'm glad you sent this as the reviews for this are really bad. 70+% gave this bit bad reviews. I better do more research before plunking down $210.

RE: Mortise Chisel Set - Bill_de - 05-03-2021

(05-02-2021, 10:17 PM)Mike 55 Wrote: Bill,

Thanks for the link. This is just for one bit and not a set. I'm glad you sent this as the reviews for this are really bad. 70+% gave this bit bad reviews. I better do more research before plunking down $210.

If you scroll down on that page you should see a lot more choices, including sets.

--

RE: Mortise Chisel Set - rwe2156 - 05-03-2021

When I got my used PM, it came with a set of Jet chisels.

Been using them for several years, very happy with them.

Once in a blue moon I hit them with a diamond cone and polish the outside.