Woodnet Forums
5" 8 Hole Random Orbital Sandpaper - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: 5" 8 Hole Random Orbital Sandpaper (/showthread.php?tid=7362808)

5" 8 Hole Random Orbital Sandpaper - Mike 55 - 05-12-2021

Hi Guys,

I need to replenish sandpaper for my random orbital sander I need the hook & loop 8 hole. The last time I bought sandpaper is was from Norton. I can't find these anymore so I'm wondering what you guys are using and where are you buying it from. I need 120 to 220 grit.

Thanks

Mike

RE: 5" 8 Hole Random Orbital Sandpaper - jcclark - 05-13-2021

I buy mine off Ebay.
I like the Mirka gold.

RE: 5" 8 Hole Random Orbital Sandpaper - SteveS - 05-13-2021

Klingspor, Amazon, Industrial Abrasives, Online Industrial Supply. Norton, Mirka, Klingspor all make good products.

RE: 5" 8 Hole Random Orbital Sandpaper - Rob Young - 05-13-2021

(05-12-2021, 07:03 PM)Mike 55 Wrote: Hi Guys,

I need to replenish sandpaper for my random orbital sander I need the hook & loop 8 hole. The last time I bought sandpaper is was from Norton. I can't find these anymore so I'm wondering what you guys are using and where are you buying it from. I need 120 to 220 grit.

Thanks

Mike

https://www.industrialabrasives.com/hook-loop-discs-sheets-58-hole-rhynogrip-hook-loop-discs-c-201_253.html?zenid=utgfltsgakooii4k6bhq23hmo3

They also have other patterns. I've been using their 5" disks with the Festool pattern and it is good stuff.

RE: 5" 8 Hole Random Orbital Sandpaper - Mike 55 - 05-13-2021

(05-13-2021, 08:28 AM)Rob Young Wrote: https://www.industrialabrasives.com/hook-loop-discs-sheets-58-hole-rhynogrip-hook-loop-discs-c-201_253.html?zenid=utgfltsgakooii4k6bhq23hmo3

They also have other patterns. I've been using their 5" disks with the Festool pattern and it is good stuff.

Rob,

Thanks. That's what I was looking for 50 in a box at a good price. I did find the Norton brand but not the 3X version I have. I guess they don't make them anymore. 

Thanks

Mike

RE: 5" 8 Hole Random Orbital Sandpaper - Cooler - 05-14-2021

I have found that many of the discs can be washed and their life extended.  I simply run them under a faucet and brush with a nylon brush.  Eventually the grit will get smooth and won't cut well anymore but you can feel that by running your fingers over the surface. 

I suppose some of these are paper backed and you cannot wash those.  But all the ones I get lately allow for washing.  I can usually get about 90 to 95 percent of the clogging out by just running the water and using that nylon brush.

(I use a brush meant for cleaning hands and nails.  Cheap and stiff enough to get the job done.)

RE: 5" 8 Hole Random Orbital Sandpaper - ajkoontz - 05-14-2021

(05-12-2021, 07:03 PM)Mike 55 Wrote: Hi Guys,

Thanks

Mike

FWIW the gator brand they sell at Lowes is mostly what I use and it is not so great. I've had much better luck getting sandpaper from one of the on-line places others have mentioned but I never remember to do this when I need it and I always end up buying the junk Lowes sandpaper.

RE: 5" 8 Hole Random Orbital Sandpaper - John Mihich - 05-15-2021

Someone posted here or on Working FB of a guy testing various sand papers.  I can't remember which one finish #1 but #2 was the Diabo from Home Depot - the mesh one.  #3 was Diabo standard disc.

I have been using them for quite some time and am happy with them - the mesh does last longer.

RE: 5" 8 Hole Random Orbital Sandpaper - Bill Wilson - 05-16-2021

I normally get my ROS paper from Klingspor, but have gotten several packages of the Diablo discs from HD and it seems to be pretty decent stuff.

RE: 5" 8 Hole Random Orbital Sandpaper - Cabinet Monkey - 05-21-2021

3M Cubitron. 

Works with any hole pattern.