Woodnet Forums
Lateral support for 6x6 post in sadle bracket - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Lateral support for 6x6 post in sadle bracket (/showthread.php?tid=7362890)

Lateral support for 6x6 post in sadle bracket - Dusty Workshop - 05-17-2021

Hello
I am mounting 2 posts 6x6 in sadle brackets that are set in concrete. The 2 post are at the side of the patio furthest from the house.  I want to avoid a support between the 2 posts.  I want to run a 2x4 on either side of the top of each post back to the lam beam attached to the house. There will be a a sunshade attached at the top 4 corners. We don't want a support between the two posts because it will be blocking the view of the sunset. The railing attached to the posts will be 3ft tall.  The attached pics should help. 
My question is if this looks like the posts are well supported without a top brace between them.

RE: Lateral support for 6x6 post in sadle bracket - Splinter Puller - 05-17-2021

No.   without a diagonal brace you would need to cantilever the forces into the ground somehow.  This could be done by burying the post in concrete many feet deep.  Or, using a strap anchor on all four sides that extend up the post a foot or more.  The saddle bracket you show will let them wiggle too much.   What about a crossbrace between the two post up high and then diagonals out of 1/4" black cable?  That would make a rigid end assembly.

a second possbility would be to use the roof plane as a shear diaphram.  Run 4x4s from the house LVL to the top of the 6x6 and then also between the 6x6's. Then, add the x brace cabling in this horizontal assembly.  This would use your house to brace the new roof and thus keep the 6x6's from moving sideways.

RE: Lateral support for 6x6 post in sadle bracket - 00lightning - 06-04-2021

We had a similar problem when I was building a 16' x 16' pergola. I also used 6" x 6" x 10' cedar posts on saddle brackets. I was worried with the large sway once the posts were installed and was worried I would have to tie-in the structure to the house. I used double 2 x 6's parallel to the house and 2 x 6's perpendicular to those. I also added double 2 x 6 angle brackets on all the posts. For the roof I used 1 x 2's for shade. Once all the structure is on, there is zero sway and there was no need to brace against the house. Hope this helps.
Gilbert

RE: Lateral support for 6x6 post in sadle bracket - Roly - 06-04-2021

(06-04-2021, 02:32 AM)00lightning Wrote: We had a similar problem when I was building a 16' x 16' pergola.  I also used 6" x 6" x 10' cedar posts on saddle brackets.  I was worried with the large sway once the posts were installed and was worried I would have to tie-in the structure  to the house.  I used double 2 x 6's parallel  to the house and 2 x 6's perpendicular  to those.  I also added double 2 x 6 angle brackets on all the posts.  For the roof I used 1 x 2's for shade.  Once all the structure  is on, there is zero sway and there was no need to brace against the house.  Hope this helps.
Gilbert

Looks great. Those V braces at the top of the posts are controlling most if not all of the sway.    Roly

RE: Lateral support for 6x6 post in sadle bracket - Cooler - 06-04-2021

I have no experience with these, but I've seen them used just as you have described.  A complete kit with four corner posts and four base mounts is $360.00.  Not cheap, but it is a very clean installation.

https://tojagrid.com/products/trio-3-arm-pergola-corner-bracket-for-6x6-wood-posts-1-pack?variant=32594670485583&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&utm_campaign=gs-2020-02-27&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4rno3Yn-8AIVBoeGCh2P6wimEAsYBCABEgL2U_D_BwE

[Image: trio6.png?v=1593510818]