Woodnet Forums
First SawStop brake activation - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: First SawStop brake activation (/showthread.php?tid=7362989)

Pages: 1 2

First SawStop brake activation - Bill_de - 05-23-2021

I activated the dado brake today, and my hands were nowhere near the blade. I was using the Incra box joint jig and after several cuts, bamm! There was no indication that the blade touched the jig, but the set up calls for close tolerances. Something must have wiggled. [Image: yellowyes.gif]

In the future, when I get a new brake, I think I'll use the little key to turn the sensor off. When using the jig there is no reason to have hands near the blade. Live and learn.

---

RE: First SawStop brake activation - R Clark - 05-24-2021

(05-23-2021, 10:06 PM)Bill_de Wrote: I activated the dado brake today, and my hands were nowhere near the blade. I was using the Incra box joint jig and after several cuts, bamm! There was no indication that the blade touched the jig, but the set up calls for close tolerances. Something must have wiggled. [Image: yellowyes.gif]

In the future, when I get a new brake, I think I'll use the little key to turn the sensor off. When using the jig there is no reason to have hands near the blade. Live and learn.

---

I seem to recall a discussion not too long ago about this jig and those close tolerances when used on the SS.  How close is a metal portion of the jig to the spinning blade?

RE: First SawStop brake activation - Bill_de - 05-24-2021

(05-24-2021, 07:49 AM)WxMan Wrote: I seem to recall a discussion not too long ago about this jig and those close tolerances when used on the SS.  How close is a metal portion of the jig to the spinning blade?

You start the calibration with the jig just touching the blade. As you adjust, the part of the jig moves away from the blade. I'm not sure what happened, because I made a few cuts before the brake activated. I'll be taking a closer look as I wait for the new brake to come.

---

RE: First SawStop brake activation - fredhargis - 05-24-2021

How's the dado set (or box joint set)...much damage?

RE: First SawStop brake activation - Cian - 05-24-2021

So you now need a new dado set plus a new trigger module, right?

RE: First SawStop brake activation - shoottmx - 05-24-2021

(05-24-2021, 02:44 PM)Cian Wrote: So you now need a new dado set plus a new trigger module, right?

About 6-7 years ago I fired the cartridge on my SS Freud dado with aluminum fence contact. I checked the teeth with a loupe, saw no issues. Laid the outer blades on a surface plate, both were flat--no rocking. Been using it ever since with no issue.

g

(05-24-2021, 01:03 PM)fredhargis Wrote: How's the dado set (or box joint set)...much damage?

The box joint set appears to be fine.  The brake has been shipped and should be here in a day or two.

I think it was a message from the gods that I should be spending more time outdoors while the weather is nice. 
Smile

(05-24-2021, 02:44 PM)Cian Wrote: So you now need a new dado set plus a new trigger module, right?

Hopefully just the brake module. I'll know for sure when it's up and running.

--

RE: First SawStop brake activation - Rob Young - 05-26-2021

(05-23-2021, 10:06 PM)Bill_de Wrote: I activated the dado brake today, and my hands were nowhere near the blade. I was using the Incra box joint jig and after several cuts, bamm! There was no indication that the blade touched the jig, but the set up calls for close tolerances. Something must have wiggled. [Image: yellowyes.gif]

---

Keep in mind that the override feature re-sets every time the big red paddle is cycled. Probably won't be cycling the power during a box joint session but something to remember if you use it for other purposes.

RE: First SawStop brake activation - Mike L B - 05-26-2021

You should have the blade inspected by a sharpening service. There could be a fracture that may cause a tooth to fly off in use.