Woodnet Forums
Sheartak Spiral Cutterhead for WOODMASTER 718 Planer - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Sheartak Spiral Cutterhead for WOODMASTER 718 Planer (/showthread.php?tid=7363239)

Pages: 1 2

Sheartak Spiral Cutterhead for WOODMASTER 718 Planer - fishhh4 - 06-05-2021

The head
Bit the bullet and ordered one... I bought 400 BF of curly Maple and thought it a good investment. Tired of straight knives. I am mostly dealing with figured wood these days...
The Woodmaster head would have been a couple hundred more... I bought another shaft as well...

RE: Sheartak Spiral Cutterhead for WOODMASTER 718 Planer - kurt18947 - 06-06-2021

The inserts are the "standard" or common size? They look like it but that would be one thing to be certain about.

RE: Sheartak Spiral Cutterhead for WOODMASTER 718 Planer - fredhargis - 06-06-2021

The inserts are the same size as the Byrd inserts, I'm not sure they are interchangeable, but it will still be a nice addition to the Woodmaster.

RE: Sheartak Spiral Cutterhead for WOODMASTER 718 Planer - fishhh4 - 06-06-2021

The head comes with five extra cutters and screws. From what I have read I doubt that I will turn them three times. If I should need more there is always Sheartak at around 3.60 apiece The cutters for the Titan head are supposed to work as well. 15 x 15 x 2.5 mm - 4-edge - 8 Radius.
At Sheartak
At Amazon for 2.30
[Image: carbide-insert-knife-square-8r-dimension...1495488741]

RE: Sheartak Spiral Cutterhead for WOODMASTER 718 Planer - fredhargis - 06-06-2021

I wonder if the radius corners on that style prevent the lines that sometimes show up with a Shelix.

RE: Sheartak Spiral Cutterhead for WOODMASTER 718 Planer - kurt18947 - 06-09-2021

(06-06-2021, 01:45 PM)fredhargis Wrote: I wonder if the radius corners on that style prevent the lines that sometimes show up with a Shelix.

Could be. I bookmarked it, a head for my Jet JJP-12 is quite a bit less than the Byrd head, around a $150 or so.

RE: Sheartak Spiral Cutterhead for WOODMASTER 718 Planer - fishhh4 - 06-10-2021

It has already shipped and is due here today. I will be putting it together quickly and giving it a whirl... so to speak.
My Dewalt 733 was giving me problems which prompted all this. I ordered a Shop fox 15" planer with a spiral head.
When I was informed it would not be in till next year the vendor returned my money.
I went ahead and ordered 160.00 dollars in parts for the 733. The chains had a lot of slop in them and were skipping or binding under load.          
I also noticed some wear in the blocks that hold the feed and outfeed rollers. I ordered 4 of them, two new chains and two rollers. I also got a new set of knives in. I will put all that together today.
Well, I only got in about half the parts last week and was told the rest were on backorder. That's when I ordered the Sheartak. I have been wanting an indexed head.
As it is the rest of the parts for the 733 arrived yesterday.
So lots to do in the shop
Laugh  I will let you know how the Sheartak does.

Curly red oak, curly maple, and ambrosia maple
[Image: YlU_i5KLat7rKl6rWILkVp9icLoDjyArarLc77hn...authuser=0]

RE: Sheartak Spiral Cutterhead for WOODMASTER 718 Planer - Brian in sunny FL - 06-10-2021

(06-06-2021, 05:43 AM)fredhargis Wrote: The inserts are the same size as the Byrd inserts, I'm not sure they are interchangeable, but it will still be a nice addition to the Woodmaster.

The Byrd inserts are a 100mm radius, these are 150mm so they are different but no much.

There are various quality levels of carbide, can make up some of the price difference.  I buy inserts from China and Tigra Germany, price difference is quite significant.  Can't speak to the quality difference.

RE: Sheartak Spiral Cutterhead for WOODMASTER 718 Planer - fishhh4 - 06-15-2021

[Image: gIqolsjX1TiehuxK5ZLntjJxzH83vbo-xPNRRpuf...authuser=0][Image: 0cW_YN_43f-x3cE-yt4yQpS5_PUo62zjZZH3e226...authuser=0]

It did a wonderful job no tear out at all. The chip collection is not as good now though. I'll take it though.

RE: Sheartak Spiral Cutterhead for WOODMASTER 718 Planer - fredhargis - 06-16-2021

I see what you mean about the chip collection, that must be a real surprise. Did you notice the reduced noise?