Woodnet Forums
Solvents - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Solvents (/showthread.php?tid=7363304)



Solvents - ChuckL2 - 06-10-2021

Looking for recommendations for least noxious/toxic mineral spirits.  Alternatively, experience with Real Milk Paint’s “Citrus Solvent,” or similar nontoxic product.


RE: Solvents - Roly - 06-10-2021

(06-10-2021, 04:54 AM)ChuckL2 Wrote: Looking for recommendations for least noxious/toxic mineral spirits.  Alternatively, experience with Real Milk Paint’s “Citrus Solvent,” or similar nontoxic product.

Look up the safety data sheet for Real Milk Paint’s “Citrus Solvent" see if that meets your definition of non toxic in the area toxins you are concerned with.  Any solvent is toxic in some areas.   Any of those solvents that replace mineral spirits may cause problems with different paints.  Suggest making a sample and try it on scrap first.   Roly


RE: Solvents - Cooler - 06-15-2021

Of all the commonly used solvents, acetone is supposed to be the least dangerous.  Some people have an allergy to acetone, but if that is not your problem, it is relatively safe.

I don't know if it is suitable for your use though.

Here is a list of the 10 safest solvents:  https://cool.culturalheritage.org/byorg/abbey/an/an09/an09-1/an09-107.html


RE: Solvents - MichaelMouse - 06-17-2021

(06-15-2021, 03:51 PM)Cooler Wrote: Of all the commonly used solvents, acetone is supposed to be the least dangerous.  Some people have an allergy to acetone, but if that is not your problem, it is relatively safe.

I don't know if it is suitable for your use though.

Here is a list of the 10 safest solvents:  https://cool.culturalheritage.org/byorg/abbey/an/an09/an09-1/an09-107.html

"Dilution is the cure for pollution."  I think that's why all the solvents say use with adequate ventilation.  Methanol is possibly toxic with just skin absorption.  Read the labels, as some denatured alcohols are high in methanol. 

"Methanol is toxic by two mechanisms. First, methanol (whether it enters the body by ingestion, inhalation, or absorption through the skin) can be fatal due to its CNS depressant properties in the same manner as ethanol poisoning."  

On the upside, the treatment is to administer ethyl alcohol....

Explosion of air, acetone mixture - YouTube


RE: Solvents - Ridgeway - 06-18-2021

(06-17-2021, 11:05 AM)MichaelMouse Wrote: "Dilution is the cure for pollution."  I think that's why all the solvents say use with adequate ventilation.  Methanol is possibly toxic with just skin absorption.  Read the labels, as some denatured alcohols are high in methanol. 

"Methanol is toxic by two mechanisms. First, methanol (whether it enters the body by ingestion, inhalation, or absorption through the skin) can be fatal due to its CNS depressant properties in the same manner as ethanol poisoning."  

On the upside, the treatment is to administer ethyl alcohol....

Explosion of air, acetone mixture - YouTube

You probably have to submerge yourself (or a part of yourself) in methanol in order to absorb a dangerous dose.  It evaporates so fast that it is hard to imagine simple contact being hazardous.


RE: Solvents - Cooler - 06-18-2021

Dilution can work the reverse.


One of the disinfectants that are being recommended to kill the Covid virus is 60 - 65 percent alcohol for a minimum exposure of 20 seconds. 

Surprisingly 90% alcohol is not recommended.  Why?  Because it evaporates so fast that the 20-second exposure is problematic. It seems counterintuitive. But that is the case.