Woodnet Forums
Just using up some scraps - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Just using up some scraps (/showthread.php?tid=7363312)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Just using up some scraps - Bill Holt - 06-18-2021

...Boring anybody?   Not me.  I enjoy every picture of every build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RE: Just using up some scraps - ChuckHill - 06-18-2021

(06-18-2021, 01:49 PM)Bill Holt Wrote: ...Boring anybody?   Not me.  I enjoy every picture of every build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Same here!  I also enjoy the pictures of when things don't go perfectly.  Reminds me that I am not alone in that.

RE: Just using up some scraps - bandit571 - 06-19-2021

Roh-kay, Raggy....spent an hour, flattening the lid...AFTER a re-design took place..
[attachment=35942]
Trimmed the ends by about 3/8"....changed the front porch to a finger-lift....flattening involved removing a raised area right at the glue line....
[attachment=35943]
Seemed to do the trick....screeeeeches a little bit, though...Test fit again..
[attachment=35944]
Figured I might as well add the hinges....rounded up the usual suspects...
Rolleyes
[attachment=35945]
2 clamps, to keep things lined up ( along with the vise), a candle to wax the threads, a bag of hinge parts, a pencil to mark where the pilot holes will go..and a square to lay out how far "inland" the hinges will go.....Need a screwdriver that can drive them tiny screws....and..need a drill bit to drill the pilot holes...hmm
Confused
[attachment=35946]
A small nail, cut the head off, chuck that end into the drill....=...pilot hole drill bit..
[attachment=35947]
Even took the time to "clock" the screws....

Since everything has been sanded down to 220 grit...decided to add a coat of stain....brush on, wait a bit, then wipe down..move on to the next section/side..
[attachment=35948]
Whether it be the front and the lid...and the insides, and underside of the lid..
[attachment=35949]
Underside of the box, too, BTW....then the ends..
[attachment=35950]
And, along the back...
[attachment=35951]
Plan is to let this sit a day...while I figure out the inside of the box.....and see about a tray/tote of some sort...

We be getting there...stay tuned..

Just using up some scraps - Tankwood - 06-19-2021

Very nice , enjoying seeing your setup and implementation.
The old school techniques with your inspiration shines through.

I am following right along..

RE: Just using up some scraps - Bill Holt - 06-21-2021

Bandit, I am so greatful for your build-a-long projects; you are adding some life to WN.

RE: Just using up some scraps - bandit571 - 06-22-2021

[attachment=35990]
Lets see, slight design change....it is now to be a Key Safe....
[attachment=35991]
Needs a rack to hang the key rings on....there is a box at the bottom, for all those keys nobody remembers what they go to.  

Pilot holes for the cup hooks..
[attachment=35992]
And, despite waxing the threads....I still snapped a couple off....trying to get that one last turn....good thing I bought an 8-pack..

Decided on something to dress up the front of the door...as I will just use the finger lift  as a handle...so..
[attachment=35993]
Got out the scrollsaw...and some 1/4" thick Ash...
[attachment=35994]
Paint this a silver colour...drill 3 holes to mount the "key" to the door..
[attachment=35995]
Finish looking good enough...might as well install this .....
[attachment=35996]
Load it up...
[attachment=35997]
The way it sits on the wall, it tends to self close the door.   Side view, when you happen to walk by..
[attachment=35998]
I think I can call this little project....done?