Woodnet Forums
Molding plane video - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Molding plane video (/showthread.php?tid=7363390)

Pages: 1 2

Molding plane video - MauleSkinner - 06-14-2021

I saw this video on https://journeymansjournel.wordpress.com/2021/06/15/moulding-plane-maker-norman-bayliss-1962/

Basically raw footage from about 1962, but I found it interesting not only for its own sake, but comparing the tools, jigs, and techniques that he does and doesn’t use to those in Larry Williams’ and Tod Herrli’s videos.

It also surprised me a little bit that the same guy is doing the woodwork and the metalwork...not sure that it should surprise me, but ...

RE: Molding plane video - Martin S. - 06-15-2021

Very cool video, thanks for posting.

RE: Molding plane video - TheCabinetmaker - 06-15-2021

There is another video with narration, and there are additional videos on a lot more subjects. CLICK BELOW;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY7TBCMCYdo&list=PLts_7BPKz3svOHIOr6lYH8rqB_F8F0WjZ&index=1

RE: Molding plane video - adamcherubini - 06-16-2021

I took a lot of criticism for pushing chisels with my shoulder. Also, do quite a bit of work with chisels and a roughing gouge. Talked and wrote a lot about that, without much traction (not complaining - sounds like I’m whining).

These videos showed both of these and the success of chisel work very clearly. Wish I had seen these 20yrs ago.

RE: Molding plane video - bandit571 - 06-16-2021

My shoulders don't work too well, anymore.....however, I have been known to place my beard covered chin on the chisel, sight right down the chisel to where I want to go...and..push......case of using me head, eh?
Winkgrin

RE: Molding plane video - adamcherubini - 06-16-2021

(06-16-2021, 01:33 PM)bandit571 Wrote: My shoulders don't work too well, anymore.....however, I have been known to place my beard covered chin on the chisel, sight right down the chisel to where I want to go...and..push......case of using me head, eh?
Winkgrin

I've been pushing my chisels with my shoulders for a long time. I often hold the handle in my fist and shoulder the fist to spread out pressure on my shoulder, I think as shown in the video.

One thing I wanted to ask you guys about: Was the bench plane maker simply holding the plane in the vise? or was the plane supported from underneath somehow? I don't like mortising in a vise. Prefer to do that over a leg. Looked almost like he had a special vise/bench.

RE: Molding plane video - MauleSkinner - 06-17-2021

adamcherubini Wrote:I took a lot of criticism for pushing chisels with my shoulder. Also, do quite a bit of work with chisels and a roughing gouge. Talked and wrote a lot about that, without much traction (not complaining - sounds like I’m whining).

These videos showed both of these and the success of chisel work very clearly. Wish I had seen these 20yrs ago.
I’m trying to remember where I read it, maybe in “wooden planes in 19th century america”, that a plane maker would go on vacation for a week or something, and had to get his shoulder back in shape when he went back to work.

RE: Molding plane video - TheCabinetmaker - 06-18-2021

MauleSkinner Wrote:
I’m trying to remember where I read it, maybe in “wooden planes in 19th century america”, that a plane maker would go on vacation for a week or something, and had to get his shoulder back in shape when he went back to work.

In the video I referenced above that is mentioned around the 2:41 mark

RE: Molding plane video - wmickley - 06-19-2021

(06-16-2021, 03:09 PM)adamcherubini Wrote: One thing I wanted to ask you guys about: Was the bench plane maker simply holding the plane in the vise? or was the plane supported from underneath somehow? I don't like mortising in a vise. Prefer to do that over a leg. Looked almost like he had a special vise/bench.

It appears that the plane is just held in the vise. The guy isn't doing much mallet and chisel work from the top of the plane. When he works from the bottom of the plane, the plane is resting on its shoulder, and the shoulder is on the bench side of the vise,so it is much more secure.

In the other video, Bock making a jack plane, it appears that he does do some heavy mortising work with the stock supported only by the vise.

Here is some mortising in Roubo:
[Image: plate17_roubo018pr.jpg?resize=600%2C572]

RE: Molding plane video - bandit571 - 06-19-2021

Did anybody see, that there is an "appliance" he use in the bench's vise.....

Flat board, with a second piece at 90 degrees to it...second piece is gripped by the bench's vise....Left end of the first piece, there is a block, fixed in place.....the right end has a movable block...the second block is a bit wedge shaped....a couple whacks with his mallet is enough to wedge the plane body firmly into place.   He can then loose the wedge with a whack or two, to free the plane body...when he is done.  

kind of thought so.....