Woodnet Forums
Portable Electric Hand Planer - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Portable Electric Hand Planer (/showthread.php?tid=7363417)

Portable Electric Hand Planer - Downwindtracker2 - 06-16-2021

Good Morning, I bought a Makita 6.5amp version recently. I was going to clean up a rough plank, looked at the amount of jack plane work and thought better of it .When one came on sale, I bought it. Besides rough planks ,what are some of the other handy uses ?  I have an 8" jointer, a lunch box planer, and 14" project planer. THX

RE: Portable Electric Hand Planer - Bill_de - 06-16-2021

I've used mine on doors. 

---

RE: Portable Electric Hand Planer - DieselDennis - 06-16-2021

(06-16-2021, 10:59 AM)Bill_de Wrote: I've used mine on doors. 

---

Great on doors.

RE: Portable Electric Hand Planer - Downwindtracker2 - 06-16-2021

Do you use carbide cutter blades for painted doors. ?

RE: Portable Electric Hand Planer - Admiral - 06-16-2021

I've had that same one for at least 15 years (picked up at a yard sale so likely an earlier iteration of the current model), doors mainly, good for occasional use for fitting deck framing, trimming up 2x stock that's got funky here and there, and I guess you could use it as a powered jack, but its not easy to get real precise other than using it on dirty rough planks before taking a hand plane to it to save the plane irons.  Good for rough, approximate work with tolerances in the 1/8th to 3/8th range has been my experience.  Takes a bit of practice, take light passes.

RE: Portable Electric Hand Planer - sweensdv2 - 06-16-2021

I have one but have only ever used it for carpentry applications. I really don't consider it a fine woodworking tool.

RE: Portable Electric Hand Planer - hcbph - 06-20-2021

I've had a Craftsman unit for maybe 40 years.  I used it to rough out planks before I had a jointer and planer.  Knocked off the high spots so it was easier with jointer plane.  Honestly, I have not used the electric hand plane in a number of years, it just sits in it's box in case I ever need it again.

RE: Portable Electric Hand Planer - Aram - 06-20-2021

Used one to level floor joists between carpet removal and hardwood flooring installation

RE: Portable Electric Hand Planer - Bill_de - 06-20-2021

(06-16-2021, 02:22 PM)Downwindtracker2 Wrote: Do you use carbide cutter blades for painted doors. ?

My Bosch came with carbide blades installed + an extra set of carbide blades. So, I use carbide cutter blades. 
Wink

---