Woodnet Forums
Next - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Next (/showthread.php?tid=7363664)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Next - bandit571 - 07-12-2021

Have Laundry Detail, today
No ....On Monday
No  Meaning I'll be down in the basement....where my shop is also located....
Uhoh 

Must resist the urge to do any wood working there, today..
No   As bad things tend to happen
Raised 

Hmmm, wonder IF I can just remove the clamps...and leave things be..
Confused
Rolleyes  We'll see...

RE: Next - bandit571 - 07-12-2021

Laundry started, clamps removed....lid is clamped to the box.....was a tad bigger than the box....we have ways....but, needs a way to hold things together, AND steady on the bench....one way..
Uhoh 
[attachment=36398]
Meh...too complicated....vibrations were making the clamps loosen up....try something else?
[attachment=36399]
Clamps to keep the lid in place, vise to keep everything in place....planes and sanders to clean things up...
Cool 
[attachment=36400]
Couple of spots yet....get them tomorrow...waiting on the Dryer, at the moment..

Waiting on Tuesday, when the shop will open....
Cool

Stay tuned..
Winkgrin

RE: Next - bandit571 - 07-13-2021

Doctor's visit this morning....the Watchman is leaky.
Uhoh ..not quite right..
No ..more tests tomorrow and in August.....
Confused

May try the shop after a bit...maybe after Supper?   Router work, mainly..
Uhoh ..before any hinges, or latch can be installed....
Winkgrin

Stay tuned...
Winkgrin

RE: Next - bandit571 - 07-14-2021

Rounded a few edges...
[attachment=36438]
Bottom rails , front and back of the box....were too wide...trimmed them back a bit, to match the bottom rails on the ends...
[attachment=36439]
Might as well round the ends, as well.   Corners were done with a block plane..

Will work on the lid, later today....have an Ultra-sound scheduled for my right leg....groin pull? or, something else?   This is also the site where they go in, to either catherize the heart...or..install the Watchman...we'll see..

Crowed bench, last night...
[attachment=36440]
Had 3 routers out there...

RE: Next - bandit571 - 07-14-2021

Cleared away most of the extra stuff....getting set up to install the lid onto the box..
Cool
[attachment=36452]
Along with a couple boxes of spare parts..
Rolleyes
[attachment=36453]
Need to dig through these...searching for a latch of some sort...
[attachment=36454]
One catch, two flippers?  Or, maybe this one?
Confused
[attachment=36455]
I did find some real brass hinges, though..
[attachment=36456]
And, a length of chain..
[attachment=36457]
To keep the lid from swinging too far back...

need a supply of screws..
[attachment=36458]
That will do, I think....still digging around in the little spares box...
[attachment=36459]
Hopefully, there MIGHT be a handle, or two...so far? Nada..

Trying to decide where the hinges will go....surface mounted..or...mortised....Lid needs rounded over, first, anyway...to match up with the box...
Cool

Leg is a bit on the sore side...from getting that Ultra-sound done....Will see how things go...
Winkgrin

RE: Next - bandit571 - 07-15-2021

First off, today...need to get the top edges, and the corners of the lid rounded over, to match the box...
[attachment=36496]
Ends, note the corners..
[attachment=36497]
And the lid's front and back top edges....

Then the fighting could commence
Upset 

I hate doing mortises for hinges...but..laid out a couple marks onto both the lid and the box...just 4 marks to show where the 2 hinges will go...then set the box aside, for now..and start on the lid's mortises...laid out how much to dig out..
[attachment=36498]
gather the Usual Suspects.   Used the 2 tap system....a series of cuts into the waste..2 taps on the end of the chisel with the mallet, move a tad, repeat...then dig out the waste, as flat as I can..
[attachment=36499]
Then repeat for the other hinge....so far, so good?  I did take the time, and the Scratch Awl, to make starter holes for the screws....still need pilot holes and wax...LATER...

Box's turn...
[attachment=36500]
trying to set this up, so the box does NOT bounce around on the bench....mortise was done..went to install the first screw...it hops back out, taking the hinge with it...
Went ahead, better pilot holes, more wax, better driver tip...one hinge installed!
Winkgrin
Rolleyes   Now, where did that little critter go.....had to sweep the floor, until the brass shone up...never did find the screw...we have more...second mortise was done, installed that wayward hinge..whew......then figure out how to attach the box to the lid...or, is it the other way around..
Confused 
Finally got one screw on each hinge installed....then told it to just hang tight..
Uhoh   
[attachment=36501]

Got all the screws nice and tight..finally..
Angry 
Went with  the swinging latch...back into the vise we go...4 pilot holes..
[attachment=36502]
Pilot hole drill is that finish nail in the drill's chuck...Scratch Awl to start a hole...nail to finish it...wax the threads, and let Klein tighten them down.

Since everything has already been sanded to 220 grit...decided something different, this time around...needed a Church Key...
[attachment=36503]
Been a while, since I use this stuff, but...
Winkgrin
[attachment=36504]
We'll see how this goes....there's still about a pint left....may just use it all....

Stay tuned..
Winkgrin

RE: Next - Aram - 07-15-2021

Why do you hate dong hinge mortises?

RE: Next - Bill Holt - 07-16-2021

Bandit, I always enjoy your builds, so I truly thank you for takeing the time to take us on the journey with you.

For me, this is your best design.  You may have told us, (my memory is ...) what is the purpose of this box.

RE: Next - bandit571 - 07-16-2021

Three things, 1)...gives me something to do, 2) a way to use up the stash of scraps, and try new/old ways, and..finally..might be a new home for the growing collection of Spokeshaves...
Winkgrin 

As for hating hinge mortises....it is not so much the actual chopping of a mortise...it is more about getting the hinges installed...much prefer surface mounted hinges...but...

RE: Next - bandit571 - 07-16-2021

Need to design a "rack" to hold these 4 items in the box...so they don't just rattle around..
Rolleyes  
[attachment=36510]
Not quite enough room to add the Stanley No. 80, as well? 
Confused

Waiting on coat #2 to dry....before the next coat....

Need to decide on handles, to carry this loaded box around...

Stay tuned
Winkgrin