Woodnet Forums
Tell me about Rikon bandsaws - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Tell me about Rikon bandsaws (/showthread.php?tid=7363859)

Tell me about Rikon bandsaws - Koda64 - 07-11-2021

So looking to upgrade my bandsaw and there is a Rikon 14" 10325. Looks like it would be up to what I need it to do. And that's being able to resaw hardwoods

So looking for any opinion on Rikon machines.

RE: Tell me about Rikon bandsaws - kurt18947 - 07-12-2021

(07-11-2021, 08:12 PM)Koda64 Wrote: So looking to upgrade my bandsaw and there is a Rikon 14" 10325. Looks like it would be up to what I need it to do. And that's being able to resaw hardwoods

I have that saw, it will resaw hardwoods. You better not be in too big a hurry though, motor size is limiting and it wouldn't be easy IMO to upsize the motor, it's a C frame motor and poly groove belt. The driven pulley is part of the lower wheel so that can't be changed.  Steel frame saws like the 10-325 are generally regarded as stiffer/stronger than cast iron saws so capable of more blade tension so better for resawing. Blades matter too. Good saw, they've sold a ton of them but it's not a 16" MiniMax with 4 h.p motor. 'Course it's also not $3,000 or whatever MiniMax saws go for.

RE: Tell me about Rikon bandsaws - skeeterk - 07-13-2021

I've had the 18" 10-345 for about 12 years I think. Bought it new. It gets the job done but....The lower trunnion has broke twice and now Rikon started making their replacements pieces out of even cheaper aluminum so I'm not expecting this new trunnion (Jan 2021) to last as long. The bearing guides were ok but have since changed them to ceramic blocks. The flex in the upper housing is pretty noticeable with anything blade above 1/2" properly tensioned. My Rikon BS is now only used for small work with a dedicated 1/4" blade. Bought another 18" BS from a different manufacturer for everyday rips and crosscuts.

RE: Tell me about Rikon bandsaws - Admiral - 07-13-2021

https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-17-2-hp-bandsaw-w-cast-iron-trunnion/g0513x2

I'd take a close look at Griz machines in the same price range; I have the 19" 3hp version and couldn't be happier with it.

RE: Tell me about Rikon bandsaws - Tapper - 07-15-2021

I have a Rikon 2 HP, 10-340 18" bandsaw I bought new at Woodcraft ~17 years ago, when it was first announced and had received favorable reviews. It was just under $1K delivered to the Woodcraft store at that time. I am not a "power" user, just a weekend woodworker. At the time I wasn't willing to spend the money it took to buy a Laguna or Minimax.

I have this saw set up with a 1' Lennox carbide blade for resawing and heavier cuts. So far it has performed flawlessly for its intended use. I also have a classic Walker Turner 16" bandsaw that I restored and use for curves and lighter cuts.

If I were in the market now for a 14" bandsaw, I'd consider Rikon, Grizzly and probably take a hard look at the used market, i.e. Craigslist and FB Marketplace. My Rikon replaced a 14" Grizzly lower end bandsaw I had bought new and never gave me any problems. Grizzly products and CS have generally gotten high marks from members here.

Doug

RE: Tell me about Rikon bandsaws - Scott W - 07-15-2021

(07-11-2021, 08:12 PM)Koda64 Wrote: So looking to upgrade my bandsaw and there is a Rikon 14" 10325. Looks like it would be up to what I need it to do. And that's being able to resaw hardwoods

Why Rikon only? Just curious.

RE: Tell me about Rikon bandsaws - Old Sawman - 07-15-2021

I'd take a close look at Griz machines in the same price range; I have the 19" 3hp version and couldn't be happier with it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this … I have the Shop Fox 17" and wouldn't part with it ,,,,