Woodnet Forums
Starting a Project for August? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Starting a Project for August? (/showthread.php?tid=7364180)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Starting a Project for August? - bandit571 - 08-16-2021

Delivered this afternoon, by Moose & Squirrel Delivery Service....measurements for the cut list..
Winkgrin
[attachment=37168]
And a cutting diagram..of sorts..
Cool
Cool
[attachment=37169]
Envelope was marked "TOP SECRET"  
Uhoh 

have to keep an eye out for some short, fat guy in a black suit....named Boris.....that likes to steal Plans...any plans..

Idea is to turn the edges of that glued up panel "down" to make a "skirt" that matches the grain around the sides of the Tool Chest....flat panel, sitting in grooves all around....May round over the top edges of the skirt...3/4" radius?   will see..starting Tuesday...

Stay tuned...

RE: Starting a Project for August? - bandit571 - 08-17-2021

That WAS Plan A...Plan B is now in effect...
Winkgrin 

Was getting distracted by "Snarky" Trolls...was hard to stay focused on MY projects.....beginning to doubt why I should even bother to post stuff....
Confused
No

Anyway...main problem with the glue up panel..
Confused  
[attachment=37196]
That circled area.   IF I slice a 1 x 3 Skirt here....it WILL warp, split, and/or crumble...other end has been trimmed for square...
Cool
[attachment=37197]
And the panel has been scrubbed flat...not smooth, yet...just wanted it flat..
[attachment=37198]
Scrub plane?
[attachment=37199]
A Made in USA, Great Neck Tool Co.  Model C 5 Corsair.....
Winkgrin
[attachment=37200]
Has a HUGE mouth, and an 8" radius cambered iron..
[attachment=37201]
Pencil lines.....are very hard to see on Ash....when the point is very sharp...looks like a line of grain....replacing  with a FINE point, BLACK Sharpie to mark the cut lines.

What was to be a 1/4" x 1/4 tongue going all around the panel....will NOW need a 3/8" deep groove to sit in, as it will be widened to 3/8" by 1/4" thick. 

Kind of hard to cut a straight edge on a large panel...at least on the tablesaw...cross cut?   We have our ways...
Uhoh
[attachment=37202]

Stay tuned...There will be cussing (snarky?) involved...and a LOT of noise...
Winkgrin

RE: Starting a Project for August? - stav - 08-17-2021

That's a lot bigger than my scrub plane.  

People who are interested are still following even if they are not posting much.  I don't have a lot to add but I like to watch the process/progress.

RE: Starting a Project for August? - Bill Holt - 08-17-2021

(08-17-2021, 09:52 AM)stav Wrote: People who are interested are still following even if they are not posting much.  I don't have a lot to add but I like to watch the process/progress.

stav is on the mark!!!

RE: Starting a Project for August? - oarlock - 08-17-2021

What Stav said
Big Grin

RE: Starting a Project for August? - MarkSingleton - 08-17-2021

I enjoy your posts Bandit.

You not only work on your projects, but also take pics, and share them
here.   That kind of extra work is appreciated by any clear thinking person.

A particular project or another may or may not be to ones' taste, but that is
beside the point.

Ignore em.

Smile

RE: Starting a Project for August? - bandit571 - 08-18-2021

Ok...lost track of where I was....Had a few issues to correct...Panel was NOT square....which also affected the tongues.   Long skirt boards turned out to be too short..by 1/2"...kept one as a pattern.  Tossed the other into the Fire Pit Can.  Haul a plank to the shop, cross cut and rip to get 2 long skirt board blanks.  needed thinned down by an 1/8", and planed to remove the usual resaw marks...Plough two grooves...selected the best fitting joint and used that as a pattern...

Dry fit....had an issue with one tongue being out of square..corrected that...fit again...a bit better...close enough to glue the 5 pieces into a lid..I was NOT going to get beat by 2 boards...
last of the glue IN that bottle...was just enough..(Yep, it was one of THOSE days
Upset)
[attachment=37229]
Plan now is to trim this a bit.   Then add a champferred edge all the way around the top of a case...

Letting this sit a day, was a very LATE night last night..until 0230 in the morning
No 

Stay tuned
Rolleyes

RE: Starting a Project for August? - Greg Jones - 08-18-2021

(08-17-2021, 07:09 PM)MarkSingleton Wrote: I enjoy your posts Bandit.

You not only work on your projects, but also take pics, and share them
here.   That kind of extra work is appreciated by any clear thinking person.

A particular project or another may or may not be to ones' taste, but that is
beside the point.

Ignore em.

Smile
It may be helpful to know that it doesn’t appear that anyone made a negative comment about this project. I suspect it is about recommending a Stanley 45 as an alternative for a router plane.

Ah yes...the snarky in return for snarky...was it? 
Raised

Meh...Lid is now out of the clamps....Ends have been trimmed flush as needed..

usual luck right now...go to remove that DULL rebating bit from the router's collett...bit is stuck to the dang thing.   Had to remove the router motor from it's base, clamp it in the bench vise...and then crank it loose...While it was sitting there, I installed the next fancy bit..
[attachment=37238]
I also took a brass wire brush and cleaned things up a bit, before returning  the motor to the base...
[attachment=37239]
Bit seems to be rubbing into the base a bit...the Router?   Well, it ain't a LN nor a LV model..
[attachment=37240]
But, it do say Craftsman on it. 

The plan was to add a bevel around the top edges of the case...
[attachment=37241]

And, thanks to a $2 bag of tools ( bag had a handle, and a bunch of tool pouches, and 10 pair of pliers, AND a Schrade Honesteel with sheath) there were two piano hinges in the bag....
[attachment=37242]
I need to choose which size to use between the lid and the case..
[attachment=37243]
And...I may have found a knob for the front of the lid...
[attachment=37244]

So...schedule for tomorrow?  0800 TEE Scan in which they will "knock me out" ( the ONLY they are getting that probe down my throat)  after which I am not allowed to drive a car...and have to take the rest of the day off....shoots any shop time, don't it? 

Once that is over with....and I am able to return TO the shop...schedule will be....sand, plane, scrape, and stain....Then decide on a varnish...oh, and handles to carry this heffty thing from point A to point B...and latches for the lid...and a chain between the lid and case...to prevent the lid from going backwards too far...

Routers?    Stanley No. 71-1/2, DeWalt No. 610, a B&D Clone of the No. 610...and that 2hp Craftsman......That also has a plunge base to use....IF I feel the need for it...

Stay tuned...

Lid has been sanded, planed and scrapered...
Winkgrin
[attachment=37250]
And am working on gap control
[attachment=37253]
That is not a square plug...that be a tenon on the end of one board, filling the groove on another board..a better butt joint?
Confused
[attachment=37255]
Lid hardware...knob matches the drawer pulls..
[attachment=37256]
So, why is the top drawer sitting open?
[attachment=37257]
Because there are 2 clamps in the way.   They are hold a pair of Rosewood plugs in place, until the glue cures, then I'll trim them flush...

Almost time to stain this box...

Stay tuned
Cool