Woodnet Forums
pre-catalyzed lacquer need to know? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: pre-catalyzed lacquer need to know? (/showthread.php?tid=7364212)

pre-catalyzed lacquer need to know? - mound - 08-01-2021

I'll be building some kitchen cabinets (poplar frames and MDF panels) and am interested in getting a gloss/factory looking finish and have recently learned of pre-catalyzed lacquer.  Can a DIY/Hobby woodworker be successful spraying this in a 2 car garage or are there all kinds of explosion proof vent systems (etc) required, etc..

Thanks for any insights before I go down this path!

RE: pre-catalyzed lacquer need to know? - Cabinet Monkey - 08-01-2021

I suggest a waterborne 2k coating instead.

RE: pre-catalyzed lacquer need to know? - mound - 08-01-2021

(08-01-2021, 09:17 AM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: I suggest a waterborne 2k coating instead.

Thanks. for what reasons?

RE: pre-catalyzed lacquer need to know? - fredhargis - 08-01-2021

Well, there's real precat lacquer, and there's some water borne versions that label themselves pre cat lacquer. If you're thinking of pre cat solvent based lacquer, there's just as many (maybe more) precautions that need to be taken as there would be with NC lacquer. Whether it could be sprayed safely in a garage is an opinion, and mine would be No.  I only spray solvent lacquers when I can do so outside.

RE: pre-catalyzed lacquer need to know? - WoodworkerTom - 08-02-2021

It's no different than regular nitro lacquer.  I spray all the time in a two car garage with door open in warmer months and even spray in winter, but keep session short and open garage door while spraying.  I turn off electric heater right before opening the garage door.  Let the overspray fumes vent out for a few minutes then close the door and turn heater back on.

RE: pre-catalyzed lacquer need to know? - KC - 08-02-2021

(08-01-2021, 01:11 PM)fredhargis Wrote: Well, there's real precat lacquer, and there's some water borne versions that label themselves pre cat lacquer. If you're thinking of pre cat solvent based lacquer, there's just as many (maybe more) precautions that need to be taken as there would be with NC lacquer. Whether it could be sprayed safely in a garage is an opinion, and mine would be No.  I only spray solvent lacquers when I can do so outside.

I sprayed gallons and gallons Sherwin Williams pre-cat in the garage, with a floor fan blowing out the door.  Respirator is certainly a good idea, altough I didn't always us it.