Woodnet Forums
Disston Info' Needed - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Disston Info' Needed (/showthread.php?tid=7364238)

Disston Info' Needed - TimothyR - 08-02-2021

Hello Everyone,

It's been about 11 or 12 years since I was last on this forum and longer since I've done any serious woodworking. 

I have this Disston that I probably bought from someone on here.  I think my intention was to learn how to sharpen a saw and never got around to it.

7 tpi with a chunk out of the top of the handle and a piece glued back on the bottom. 

Does anyone have an idea as to what it's worth?

Thanks,
Timothy

[attachment=36798]
[attachment=36799]
[attachment=36800]
[attachment=36801]
[attachment=36802]

RE: Disston Info' Needed - Pedder - 08-03-2021

depending on the market. 1-10 $

Over here in german maybe 30 €.

Cheers
Pedder

RE: Disston Info' Needed - Timberwolf - 08-03-2021

(08-02-2021, 04:26 PM)TimothyR Wrote: Hello Everyone,

It's been about 11 or 12 years since I was last on this forum and longer since I've done any serious woodworking. 

I have this Disston that I probably bought from someone on here.  I think my intention was to learn how to sharpen a saw and never got around to it.

7 tpi with a chunk out of the top of the handle and a piece glued back on the bottom. 

Does anyone have an idea as to what it's worth?

Thanks,
Timothy
Hi Timothy...good to hear from you after so long a time...I checked Ebay sold items and it looks like your saw sells for anywhere from $10.00 to ~$160.00 depending on condition...Ebay prices are a pretty good starting point. They sell faster if they are sharp...good luck...

RE: Disston Info' Needed - AHill - 08-04-2021

The medallion places the saw in the 1917-1940 range. The etching places it before 1928, which is when they changed the name from No. 7 to D-7. So, a pretty decent pre-war saw. Best place to check for value is to peruse eBay sold prices, or check out some of the sites that sell vintage tools. Based on your pics and the condition, I'd say your saw is worth around $25-40. In really good condition, with an intact handle and freshly sharpened, maybe $75-80.

RE: Disston Info' Needed - TimothyR - 08-05-2021

Peddler and AHill, thanks for the info'.  Timberwolf, it's been a long time.  Great to reconnect with you.

When I was doing woodworking, I had a lot of people help me on this forum (special shout out to Bob Feeser).  This saw is a Pay it Forward.  I never did get to use the saw as planned, but if someone would give it some TLC and add it to their tools, I'd be willing to pass if forward for the cost of shipping.

RE: Disston Info' Needed - grwold - 08-05-2021

(08-05-2021, 11:44 AM)TimothyR Wrote: Peddler and AHill, thanks for the info'.  Timberwolf, it's been a long time.  Great to reconnect with you.

When I was doing woodworking, I had a lot of people help me on this forum (special shout out to Bob Feeser).  This saw is a Pay it Forward.  I never did get to use the saw as planned, but if someone would give it some TLC and add it to their tools, I'd be willing to pass if forward for the cost of shipping.

Timothy,

I'd be thrilled to add your saw to my tool set, but, you should consider posting it to the Swap & Sell forum.

Greg