Woodnet Forums
Kitchen Build Thread - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Kitchen Build Thread (/showthread.php?tid=7364337)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: Kitchen Build Thread - mound - 11-29-2022

I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving! 

Quick progress update - the quartz is in!  

Really taking shape and feels like a kitchen now.  The new sinks, gas range, dishwasher and beverage cooler are in place and up and running.   I have the bracket mounted for the vent hood (and corresponding receptacle wired) with perfect access to it from upstairs in the back corner of a large bedroom closet, should be easy enough to bring a duct straight up about 6' and a quick 90* to direct it out the side of the house (I have a tin-knocker buddy whose going to do that for me) then I'll just box it in up in the closet. 

I've made a total of 19 drawer boxes, all hand-cut dovetails on all 4 corners (which was an oddly satisfying process even tough it took me probably 24 hours in total over a couple weeks) and there are a few more to do.  I'm thinking maybe for a finish on the drawer boxes just a quick spray coat of shellac?

I've only started positioning boxes along the "appliance wall" (fridge/double wall oven/microwave and pantry) as the quartz wasn't dependent on that timing. 

Still have to wire up all the magnetic switches and such for the LED lighting inside the cabinetry. The drawer boxes are all just dry-fit and placed in their openings at this point, none are yet functional.  The rails/stiles/panels for the doors and drawer false fronts were all made last winter, still need to do final sizing, assembly and finishing and then get to work on the woodworking for the island base (those small horizontal pieces of plywood covering the gap between the island bases is to keep my 5lb ancient and blind dog from walking between them, as there's a large hole cut in the floor between them into a cold air return which he of course fell into!) 

Speakers are installed in the ceiling and already being used and I've got some pendant lights to layout now and cut in over the island (I have a scaffold platform I'll stand on, I'm afraid of walking around on the island top)..   Trim work still around the doors/windows, will probably come last, and of course the whole wall behind the sink around the window is going to get a subway tile of some sort.  Lots to do but the end is in sight! 

[attachment=45266]
[attachment=45267]
[attachment=45268]
[attachment=45269]
[attachment=45270]
[attachment=45273]
[attachment=45271]
[attachment=45272]

RE: Kitchen Build Thread - stav - 11-29-2022

That is coming along nicely.  Are you going to add anything under the quartz overhangs?

RE: Kitchen Build Thread - mound - 11-29-2022

(11-29-2022, 02:40 PM)stav Wrote: That is coming along nicely.  Are you going to add anything under the quartz overhangs?

thanks!
It's going to be wrapped with this look on all 3 sides and have seating for 6 along the back side and the end toward the sliding doors. 

[attachment=45274]

Originally I was going to do something more like this (and still might, on one or both ends, we've been mulling it over.) We get more seating with the overhangs. 

[attachment=45275]

RE: Kitchen Build Thread - stav - 11-29-2022

I'd be concerned about breakage of the countertop. I'm not real familiar with quartz but most rocks if you hit them just right will break on a line like where the cabinet stops supporting the stone.

RE: Kitchen Build Thread - EightFingers - 11-30-2022

I would also radius the corners. Get in a hurry and run into a corner it’s going to leave a mark.

RE: Kitchen Build Thread - mound - 11-30-2022

The material isn't natural stone, it's a manufactured material made of resins and ground up quartz dust. The supplier insists that <=12" overhang on sides and around corners isn't prone to cracking. Though I admit I'd worry if some large individual decided to jump up and sit on the corner, it would give me pause! 

I suppose it may hurt if somebody slams into a corner. such is life. But the large radiused look is ugly IMHO.

RE: Kitchen Build Thread - stav - 11-30-2022

That's cool, good stuff. If it won't break, I'd leave the overhang as is. I like the open look. Very nice progress.

RE: Kitchen Build Thread - KC - 11-30-2022

(11-30-2022, 08:32 AM)mound Wrote: The material isn't natural stone, it's a manufactured material made of resins and ground up quartz dust. The supplier insists that <=12" overhang on sides and around corners isn't prone to cracking. Though I admit I'd worry if some large individual decided to jump up and sit on the corner, it would give me pause! 

I suppose it may hurt if somebody slams into a corner. such is life. But the large radiused look is ugly IMHO.

I expect he meant round the corners a bit, not radius the whole end.  

I'd still put some kind of bracket under that overhang because it looks 'incomplete' without it to me.

RE: Kitchen Build Thread - mound - 11-30-2022

(11-30-2022, 10:43 AM)KC Wrote: I expect he meant round the corners a bit, not radius the whole end.  

I'd still put some kind of bracket under that overhang because it looks 'incomplete' without it to me.

Yup, I know what he meant (rounded corners).. wife and I didn't like that look given all the cabintry will be very square/simple/shaker style.

The island does look incomplete as it stands, but once it's "wrapped" with that slat look, I don't think it will.. Not sure how a bracket would look, could mock it up and see what we think!

RE: Kitchen Build Thread - Gary G™ - 11-30-2022

Looking great. Nicely executed drawers.