Woodnet Forums
Bora Portamate - PM - P254 - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Bora Portamate - PM - P254 (/showthread.php?tid=7364657)

Bora Portamate - PM - P254 - Belle City Woodworking - 08-25-2021

Anyone have one of these or any experience with it to let me know if it is worth the price?  Right now they are $219.99 at Woodcraft.

[Image: detail.jpg?c=1622786406]

Bora Portamate - PM-P254 3-1/4 HP Variable Speed Router Motor

RE: Bora Portamate - PM - P254 - PaulM85 - 08-27-2021

I purchased one about a month ago for a public shop I run, our Porter Cable died and I didn't want to replace the speed control circuit board again. That seems to be a weak point in them. I found the Bora to be well machined and seemed like good quality. It's quieter than the Porter Cable and the soft start was a bit more gentle I thought. Since Porter Cable stopped producing the 4.2 inch diameter router the selection is a bit thinner out there and several models like the Milwaukee were out of stock everywhere I looked.  Since we have about 150 members it gets used close to a couple of hours a day. So far it has held up with no issues. I wish I had a longer run to tell you about but that's as long as we've had it. 

Paul
Bel Air, MD

RE: Bora Portamate - PM - P254 - museumguy - 08-27-2021

Can you keep us posted Paul? Since the PC aren't available anymore, we will need to be replacing ours as they die. The Bora Portamate looks like a good substitute.

RE: Bora Portamate - PM - P254 - Cabinet Monkey - 08-28-2021

It’s being replaced /superseded by a new model - hence the close out price.

RE: Bora Portamate - PM - P254 - Belle City Woodworking - 08-29-2021

(08-27-2021, 01:43 AM)PaulM85 Wrote: I purchased one about a month ago for a public shop I run, our Porter Cable died and I didn't want to replace the speed control circuit board again. That seems to be a weak point in them. I found the Bora to be well machined and seemed like good quality. It's quieter than the Porter Cable and the soft start was a bit more gentle I thought. Since Porter Cable stopped producing the 4.2 inch diameter router the selection is a bit thinner out there and several models like the Milwaukee were out of stock everywhere I looked.  Since we have about 150 members it gets used close to a couple of hours a day. So far it has held up with no issues. I wish I had a longer run to tell you about but that's as long as we've had it. 

Paul
Bel Air, MD

Thank you Paul for that info!