Woodnet Forums
Found a 6 inch Combination Square! - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Found a 6 inch Combination Square! (/showthread.php?tid=7364715)

Found a 6 inch Combination Square! - Scott W - 08-28-2021

Has anyone seen this on the ends of the rulers? It looks machined.  I first thought it was a good place for a pencil bit the pencil tips are variable so that's not a good idea.

RE: Found a 6 inch Combination Square! - museumguy - 08-28-2021

That's what it is for, a pencil. It's supposed to offset the pencil lead thickness when scribing a line.

RE: Found a 6 inch Combination Square! - MT Woodworker - 08-28-2021

Nice find
I have both 6 inch and 4 inch Starrett combination squares.
Come in very handy.

RE: Found a 6 inch Combination Square! - KyleD - 08-29-2021

Yeah, you can angle the pencil a little in or out depending on how sharp the tip is to align right to the end of the rule.

RE: Found a 6 inch Combination Square! - Scott W - 08-29-2021

I have tried that but I think this design leaves too much for a pencil to wander...so it seems worse that the regular kind. I am still considering a woodpeckers one for the accuracy making layout lines. I don't mind having multiple squares.

RE: Found a 6 inch Combination Square! - Cooler - 08-30-2021

My Starrett combination square came with a scriber.  I would guess that is calibrated to use with such a scriber.  The modern versions do not have that notch and still comes with a scriber.  So maybe my guess if full of it.  It is held in place by a friction fit.  Mine is always falling out and going missing.  When it finally disappears I will not replace it.

[Image: detail.jpg?c=1547881223]

RE: Found a 6 inch Combination Square! - Scott W - 08-30-2021

(08-30-2021, 09:54 AM)Cooler Wrote: My Starrett combination square came with a scriber.  I would guess that is calibrated to use with such a scriber.  The modern versions do not have that notch and still comes with a scriber.  So maybe my guess if full of it.  It is held in place by a friction fit.  Mine is always falling out and going missing.  When it finally disappears I will not replace it.

I have I think 4 combination squares. Only one scribe is still there.  

I did have a chance to actually put this to use yesterday.  It's not as bad as I thought once you get adjusted to it. I measure, the slide the notched part to where my pencil is.  The ruler slides easily.  Then I can move the square with the pencil in place.  Not perfect but better then the ones without.  It does give a place for the pencil for registration.

RE: Found a 6 inch Combination Square! - mike4244 - 09-01-2021

(08-30-2021, 09:54 AM)Cooler Wrote: My Starrett combination square came with a scriber.  I would guess that is calibrated to use with such a scriber.  The modern versions do not have that notch and still comes with a scriber.  So maybe my guess if full of it.  It is held in place by a friction fit.  Mine is always falling out and going missing.  When it finally disappears I will not replace it.

I have 7 combination squares, 4 were inherited. 12" , two 6" and a either a 3" or 4"  are Starrett. I do not recall which size is the Starrett.  The remaining are good quality but not as hefty as the Starretts.
mike