Woodnet Forums
How to temporarily seal off ductwork? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: How to temporarily seal off ductwork? (/showthread.php?tid=7364833)

Pages: 1 2

How to temporarily seal off ductwork? - Aram - 09-04-2021

I'm plumbing in my Dust Gorilla in my new shop, using Oneida ductwork. i have a few pieces on order. I think I can get enough machines hooked up that I can use them, but that will leave at lest one 5" line wide open to the room. Aside from putting a blast gate on it, what would be a good way to temporarily seal it off so that I can run my DC?

Thanks.

RE: How to temporarily seal off ductwork? - lift mechanic - 09-04-2021

I had to block off one of my ducts temporarily. I cut a piece of 1/4" plywood a little  larger than the duct and duct taped it on the end of the pipe.

RE: How to temporarily seal off ductwork? - fredhargis - 09-04-2021

The plywood trick is probably as easy as anything, and it works well.

RE: How to temporarily seal off ductwork? - Aram - 09-04-2021

(09-04-2021, 02:46 PM)lift mechanic Wrote: I had to block off one of my ducts temporarily. I cut a piece of 1/4" plywood a little  larger than the duct and duct taped it on the end of the pipe.

Love it. Thanks. Will do.

RE: How to temporarily seal off ductwork? - TDKPE - 09-05-2021

I have a 2-1/2” over my TS that’s waiting for a guard with DC port, and I just stuck a duct plug in it.  Galvanized, with crimped male.  The vacuum keeps it in place.

RE: How to temporarily seal off ductwork? - KyleD - 09-06-2021

I used 3/4 ply to make a plug on a disk sander with a circle sanding attachment and the table set at a small angle.  Then screwed a knob on where the center pivot point was located on the ply plug and Bob is my uncle. A removable plug. Been using it for many years.

RE: How to temporarily seal off ductwork? - jeffss - 09-13-2021

Jeez, as a wood worker I should have used wood! My quick fix is a quart freezer bag and duct tape. Also used this on my blast gates that don't have a tool hooked up. With the DC running I can see every gate leaks by the bags sucking in.

RE: How to temporarily seal off ductwork? - brianwelch - 09-23-2021

<p>I have used a large 1 qt (I think) tapered plastic yogurt container, it&nbsp;slides in easily and securely&nbsp;into the unused 4" Y at the collector.&nbsp;Not sure it would seal/not get sucked into a 5" duct, but the principle remains...</p>

RE: How to temporarily seal off ductwork? - Aram - 09-23-2021

<p>Thanks, everyone. As it turned out, the one line I can't connect to a machine yet ends at a blast gate, so I'm good.</p><p><br></p><p><br></p>

RE: How to temporarily seal off ductwork? - R Clark - 09-25-2021

<p>I have 5" ducting for my DC.&nbsp; I just got done reconfiguring the system, and to provide temporary closed ends so I could use the system while the reconfig was in progress, I used a tee cap that I keep around for the purpose.&nbsp; Got it a couple years back at the big box store; cost was less than $5, IIRC.</p><p><br></p><p>[attachment=37879]<br></p>