Woodnet Forums
DC ductwork, tape vs silicone question - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: DC ductwork, tape vs silicone question (/showthread.php?tid=7364857)

DC ductwork, tape vs silicone question - Aram - 09-06-2021

Third time setting up dust collector (3rd shop). The first two times, I used silicone to seal ductwork. It is a mild pain to remove if you have to, but surprisingly, not overly difficult. What about HVAC tape? How hard is that to get off, comparatively? I've never used HVAC tape.

Thanks again.

RE: DC ductwork, tape vs silicone question - Lumber Yard® - 09-06-2021

My DC has PVC duct work and it has been hung for around 15 years. I never did anything to seal the joints other than wrapping them with duct tape. When I've needed to make a modification to a joint it's been easy to cut the duct tape at the seam and make the mod. After making the change, I again, wrap the new joints with duct tape. In any case, I'm not sure the old duct tape does anything significant over just the friction fit of the slip joints. I'm sure my system isn't sealed as well as others but my DC does a great job regardless of any performance loss in any of those seams.

RE: DC ductwork, tape vs silicone question - fredhargis - 09-06-2021

If you use tape, I'd suggest the foil type over the fabric types. It seems to seal better, and the split open and re tape (if you do that) is a little easier. I use both, but seem to favor the silicone; but my ducting is PVC. I thought yours was the Oneida stuff????

RE: DC ductwork, tape vs silicone question - Aram - 09-06-2021

(09-06-2021, 12:27 PM)fredhargis Wrote: If you use tape, I'd suggest the foil type over the fabric types. It seems to seal better, and the split open and re tape (if you do that) is a little easier. I use both, but seem to favor the silicone; but my ducting is PVC. I thought yours was the Oneida stuff????

Mine is Oneida metal ducting. They recommend silicone sealant, or Al tape. I don't doubt they both work, just wondering if Al tape is easy or difficult to remove if necessary.

RE: DC ductwork, tape vs silicone question - fredhargis - 09-06-2021

It's not easier to remove, just the opposite. But you cut it at the seam, then put more tape over it. So you're not trying to clean the mess off that silicon makes.

(09-06-2021, 02:18 PM)fredhargis Wrote: OIt's not easier to remove, just the opposite. But you cut it at the seam, then put more tape over it.
Thank you. I have a bunch of silicone anyway. Sounds like I should stick with it.

RE: DC ductwork, tape vs silicone question - cpolubin - 09-06-2021

KenCraft is a supplier of dust collection duct and fittings. One of the options they offer is shrink wrap tape.
https://www.kencraftcompany.com/product/shrink-wrap/

They say it's easier when you need to open up a section of duct. I'm about to install a Oneida V-3000 and new ductwork and I'm seriously considering using the shrink wrap.

Cliff

(09-06-2021, 04:41 PM)cpolubin Wrote: KenCraft is a supplier of dust collection duct and fittings. One of the options they offer is shrink wrap tape.
https://www.kencraftcompany.com/product/shrink-wrap/

They say it's easier when you need to open up a section of duct. I'm about to install a Oneida V-3000 and new ductwork and I'm seriously considering using the shrink wrap.

Cliff

That's a new one to me. Thank you for the lead.

RE: DC ductwork, tape vs silicone question - fredhargis - 09-07-2021

That appears to be the same shrink wrap tape (stretch wrap) used for packing moving boxes and such stuff. It never occurred to em to use that. It should be a great option since it really sticks to itself with a lot of grip, but not to whatever it's wrapped around. I keep some in the shop for all sorts of things (got mine at Menards), I'll have to try it the next time I need to seal some ductwork.