Woodnet Forums
New member - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: New member (/showthread.php?tid=7364884)

New member - Jholden - 09-07-2021

Hello all, my name is Jeremy.  I'm new to this forum as of this evening.  I've been turning for a few years now and I'm not really sure why I never looked for a forum like this.  Regardless, I'm here and am excited to look things over, learn and share.  I primarily turn game calls as I really enjoy spending the fall in the woods.  But I also turn other small projects, pens and the like.

I'm having a new longbow made and am looking to make a deer grunter that will match the woods in the bow.  I'm having a heck of a time finding black locust and/or fiddleback myrtle.  I've found a few places on the west coast that have myrtle, but the wood appears to be lacking the "fiddleback" part, lol.

Anyways, if anyone has a reliable source for those woods and is willing to share I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again,

Jeremy

RE: New member - MT Woodworker - 09-07-2021

Welcome to the forum, tons of great knowledge here.

RE: New member - iclark - 09-07-2021

Jeremy,

Welcome to Woodnet.

Roughly, where are you located?

There is a wood supplier near Dulles Airport that caters to luthiers and to recreationists (wood components for tomahawks, flintlocks, and the like). I have gotten lots of nice wood there from their cutoff bins. Dunlap Woodcrafts (not sure whether there is an s on the end or not).

Hearne Hardwood has some wonderful figured lumber. I do not recall offhand is myrtle was among them.

If I remember correctly, the locust that I have from when a tornado came through this area is yellow locust.

There are some small operations like Two Tree Boyz that specialize in harvesting city/yard trees. One of them might be your best bet for myrtle (figured or otherwise). The lady who runs Two Tree Boyz is very helpful and nice.

I will stop there until I (or someone else) can try to recommend something close to you.

RE: New member - Grey Mountain - 09-08-2021

Welcome to the forum. Except for one or two, most of those here are very willing to help and share experiences and ideas. Well, one or two may be a stretch. More like five or ten. Or fifty to a hundred. But the two of us left will help in whatever way we can.
Uh, do you have a wagon?

GM

RE: New member - iclark - 09-08-2021

(09-08-2021, 06:49 AM)Grey Mountain Wrote: Welcome to the forum.  Except for one or two, most of those here are very willing to help and share experiences and ideas.  Well, one or two may be a stretch.  More like five or ten.  Or fifty to a hundred.  But the two of us left will help in whatever way we can.
Uh, do you have a wagon?

GM

Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh 

No way am I going to be the one to explain that question.
Laugh
Laugh

RE: New member - Grey Mountain - 09-09-2021

"...asking for a friend."

GM

RE: New member - AHill - 09-09-2021

Welcome to the forum. Try searching for "curly myrtle" instead of fiddleback myrtle. There are several sources. Northwest Timber is one. Not cheap!

RE: New member - Arlin Eastman - 10-16-2021

Also a welcome from me as well.

One thing I learned is google is your friend and then turning forums.