Woodnet Forums
Emmert K2 Pattern Makers Vise - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Emmert K2 Pattern Makers Vise (/showthread.php?tid=7365167)

Pages: 1 2

Emmert K2 Pattern Makers Vise - jppierson - 09-25-2021

<span id="sceditor-start-marker" class="sceditor-selection sceditor-ignore" style="display: none; line-height: 0;"> </span><span id="sceditor-end-marker" class="sceditor-selection sceditor-ignore" style="display: none; line-height: 0;"> </span>Bought at auction today. $20.00

RE: Emmert K2 Pattern Makers Vise - Timberwolf - 09-25-2021

<span id="sceditor-start-marker" class="sceditor-selection sceditor-ignore" style="display: none; line-height: 0;"> </span><span id="sceditor-end-marker" class="sceditor-selection sceditor-ignore" style="display: none; line-height: 0;"> </span>
(09-25-2021, 04:50 PM)jppierson Wrote: Bought at auction today. $20.00

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Winkgrin

RE: Emmert K2 Pattern Makers Vise - Joe Bailey - 09-25-2021

<p><br></p><p>It goes without saying that you really scored -- Congrats!</p><p>I have had more than a few Emmerts over the decades (and am down to one K1,&nbsp;type U3 as of this writing).</p><p>I have never before seen one like this. The casting is unfamiliar and it appears to have a single dog.</p><p><br></p><p><a href="http://www.mprime.com/Emmert/index.htm">HERE</a> is a site dedicated to Emmerts you may or may not be familiar with.</p><p>If you learn anything further concerning vintage or type please let us know.<br></p>

RE: Emmert K2 Pattern Makers Vise - jppierson - 09-25-2021

<span id="sceditor-start-marker" class="sceditor-selection sceditor-ignore" style="display: none; line-height: 0;"> </span><span id="sceditor-end-marker" class="sceditor-selection sceditor-ignore" style="display: none; line-height: 0;"> </span>
(09-25-2021, 05:48 PM)Joe Bailey Wrote: <p><br></p><p>It goes without saying that you really scored -- Congrats!</p><p>I have had more than a few Emmerts over the decades (and am down to one K1,&nbsp;type U3 as of this writing).</p><p>I have never before seen one like this. The casting is unfamiliar and it appears to have a single dog.</p><p><br></p><p><a href="http://www.mprime.com/Emmert/index.htm">HERE</a> is a site dedicated to Emmerts you may or may not be familiar with.</p><p>If you learn anything further concerning vintage or type please let us know.<br></p>

I stumbled on that site today. I didn't see this vise on the type study. It has two dogs one on the inner right and outer left. Jaws are 5x14, opens 12.5" or so the casting does say Emmerts, but no model number just part numbers. Unfortunately for me it didnt come with the K-44 bracket for the tilt function. So it looks like I will be asking for a couple vise parts for christmas, the K-44 and the taper plate accessory. I will have to make a new handle, but hey we are wood workers, not outside my skill set. It looks like one made in the 60s with the Y shaped webbing in front, however the taper knob is metal not plastic. No serial number to be found anywhere.

RE: Emmert K2 Pattern Makers Vise - iclark - 09-26-2021

<p>
(09-25-2021, 05:48 PM)Joe Bailey Wrote: </p><p><br></p><p>It goes without saying that you really scored -- Congrats!</p><p>I have had more than a few Emmerts over the decades (and am down to one K1,&nbsp;type U3 as of this writing).</p><p>I have never before seen one like this. The casting is unfamiliar and it appears to have a single dog.</p><p><br></p><p><a href="http://www.mprime.com/Emmert/index.htm">HERE</a> is a site dedicated to Emmerts you may or may not be familiar with.</p><p>If you learn anything further concerning vintage or type please let us know.<br></p><p>
</p><p>The K2 page on the Iron Hand site is hard to find:</p><p>http://www.mprime.com/Emmert/small.htm<br>It does appear that the K2 only had the one pair of dogs.</p><p><br>

</p>

RE: Emmert K2 Pattern Makers Vise - Joe Bailey - 09-26-2021

<p>
(09-26-2021, 03:37 AM)iclark Wrote: </p><p></p><p>The K2 page on the Iron Hand site is hard to find:</p><p>http://www.mprime.com/Emmert/small.htm<br>It does appear that the K2 only had the one pair of dogs.</p><p><br>

</p><p>

</p><p><br></p><p>Nice work, thanks!</p>

RE: Emmert K2 Pattern Makers Vise - Timberwolf - 09-26-2021

(09-26-2021, 02:53 PM)Joe Bailey Wrote: <p>
</p><p><br></p><p>Nice work, thanks!</p>

[Image: 8277-ED86-990-F-437-D-84-B4-E040279533-E2-4-5005-c.jpg]

I sold an Emmert Iron worker along with a sheldon, but have the Emmert K-2 on my bench right now...

RE: Emmert K2 Pattern Makers Vise - Scoony - 09-26-2021

Jack, I have a nephew that is currently rehabbing one of those iron workers vices. He is really getting into forging, spoon carving, knife making, leather craft, etc... His vice is still in parts, so thanks for posting that picture.

I grew up where Emmerts were made. I believe the sign is still up on the old building. Ownership of the company has changed a lot of hands over the years and at one point, our neighbor owned the company.

RE: Emmert K2 Pattern Makers Vise - Timberwolf - 09-26-2021

(09-26-2021, 09:06 PM)Scoony Wrote: Jack, I have a nephew that is currently rehabbing one of those iron workers vices. He is really getting into forging, spoon carving, knife making, leather craft, etc... His vice is still in parts, so thanks for posting that picture.

I grew up where Emmerts were made. I believe the sign is still up on the old building. Ownership of the company has changed a lot of hands over the years and at one point, our neighbor owned the company.

IIRC Scoony, I read that they made the last ones in 1912, so that's well over 100yrs ago..The one I owned had Acme threads and the screw was worn badly with lots of slack..It was a heavy brute and could easily pinch a blood blister on a finger when lifting it..DAHIK...But I just didn't have room for it, or I would have kept it.
Crazy

RE: Emmert K2 Pattern Makers Vise - Joe Bailey - 09-28-2021

(09-26-2021, 10:54 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: <span id="sceditor-start-marker" class="sceditor-selection sceditor-ignore" style="display: none; line-height: 0;"> </span><span id="sceditor-end-marker" class="sceditor-selection sceditor-ignore" style="display: none; line-height: 0;"> </span>
IIRC Scoony,  I read that they made the last ones in 1912, so that's well over 100yrs ago..

Not sure what the reference (above) to "iron worker's" vises is all about (these are patternmaker's vises).

To set the record straight, Emmerts were made at least at recently as 1950.