Woodnet Forums
Tablesaw Blade Sharpening - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Tablesaw Blade Sharpening (/showthread.php?tid=7365497)

Tablesaw Blade Sharpening - BassMD - 10-14-2021

Does anybody here sharpen their own carbide-tipped blades? If so, would you please describe the technique, and advise what type of stone(s) used?

RE: Tablesaw Blade Sharpening - RPE1 - 10-14-2021

(10-14-2021, 09:42 AM)BassMD Wrote: Does anybody here sharpen their own carbide-tipped blades? If so, would you please describe the technique, and advise what type of stone(s) used?

Do you live in Oklahoma?  Enid?

RE: Tablesaw Blade Sharpening - Admiral - 10-14-2021

(10-14-2021, 09:42 AM)BassMD Wrote: Does anybody here sharpen their own carbide-tipped blades? If so, would you please describe the technique, and advise what type of stone(s) used?

Lots of geometry involved,  I always send it out.  That being said, diamond stones (paddles) are likely required for carbide.

RE: Tablesaw Blade Sharpening - Cabinet Monkey - 10-16-2021

That’s a fools errand - especially on better blades that have variable geometry.

RE: Tablesaw Blade Sharpening - Cooler - 10-19-2021

I've learned to scratch my name onto the side of the blade.  I was getting back the same brand of blade, but not the same blade as I sent out. 

On my Lion miter trimmer, I sent out genuine Lion (made in the USA) blades and got back something else (that fit and worked OK but was probably made in China).

RE: Tablesaw Blade Sharpening - rwe2156 - 10-20-2021

40 years doing this.

Buy blades worth sending out.

Have at least 2 of each type so you're shop is never "down".

RE: Tablesaw Blade Sharpening - chips ahoy - 10-21-2021

(10-20-2021, 09:44 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: 40 years doing this.

Buy blades worth sending out.

Have at least 2 of each type so you're shop is never "down".

What RWE said.

Mel

RE: Tablesaw Blade Sharpening - John Mihich - 10-22-2021

I do.  I bought a sharpener from HF and have used it about 40 times over the years.  Not hard with combo blades.  I set the sharpener using the angle that is on the blade.  A little tedious but it works.  The tool comes with blades of carbine and steel blades.  I think it works pretty good.