Woodnet Forums
Replacing 40 W Lights - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Replacing 40 W Lights (/showthread.php?tid=7365553)

Pages: 1 2

Replacing 40 W Lights - Halfathumb - 10-18-2021

LOML wants to replace 40 W bulbs in the over the mirror light in the bathroom with 9 w full spectrum lights. Will this give the light we've come to know?

Jim

RE: Replacing 40 W Lights - FS7 - 10-18-2021

Warm white (2700K) are very similar to my eyes. Full spectrum will be closer to 5000K, much brighter white. Those are normally used for plants and greenhouses.

It is possible to get full spectrum LEDs in the warm white range (there's not necessarily any direct correlation between color temperature and spectrum) but be aware that you are likely more interested in color temperature rather than spectrum.

RE: Replacing 40 W Lights - JosephP - 10-18-2021

look at lumens, not watts.

RE: Replacing 40 W Lights - msweig - 10-18-2021

Full spectrum/daylight/5000K are like an Apple store. Totally different feel than what a lot of people have in their house. I love full spectrum in my shop. In my bedroom not so much. There are also fancy ones where you can change the color temperature. Of course you pay for this, but might be an easy way to let her decide.

If it is one where matching colors under it is important (looking at clothes, makeup might fall in this category too) you might want to make sure the bulb has a high color rendering index (CRI). Ones with a low CRI have a tendency to screw how colors look. So you might have something look good under that light, then go outside and it looks totally different.

RE: Replacing 40 W Lights - KC - 10-19-2021

Am I the only guy that misses the days when you'd go pick up a box of 60 watt bulbs and the choice was whether to get GE orSylvania, and maybe soft white or not?

Maybe it's been complicated all along and I just missed it?

RE: Replacing 40 W Lights - Roly - 10-19-2021

(10-18-2021, 11:54 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: LOML wants to replace 40 W bulbs in the over the mirror light in the bathroom with 9 w full spectrum lights. Will this give the light we've come to know?

Jim
Why does see want to change them ?   If these are 40 watt incandescent then a 9watt LED will have the amount of light you want, however she will not like something like a 5000K bulb for makeup.  For my taste the 2700K are too yellow and I prefer a bright white of 3500K but they are harder to find.    As said the color temp is very important.  Roly
I just read where full spectrum LED bulbs are available in different color temps. Is the full spectrum needed ?

RE: Replacing 40 W Lights - Halfathumb - 10-19-2021

(10-18-2021, 07:03 PM)FS7 Wrote: Warm white (2700K) are very similar to my eyes. Full spectrum will be closer to 5000K, much brighter white. Those are normally used for plants and greenhouses.

That's exactly what she wants. She wants to put some plants in there. Personally I don't care. The agreement is that she doesn't mess with my shop and the rest of the house is hers.
Laugh

Jim

RE: Replacing 40 W Lights - blackhat - 10-19-2021

I’ve found that with age, less light at the bathroom mirror isn’t a bad thing.

RE: Replacing 40 W Lights - R Clark - 10-20-2021

(10-19-2021, 08:37 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: That's exactly what she wants. She wants to put some plants in there. Personally I don't care. The agreement is that she doesn't mess with my shop and the rest of the house is hers.
Laugh

Jim

Within the house, we have the same agreement.  I'll make suggestions, but she has final say.  Situation works pretty well; she was the one who insisted we get a separate shop building when we moved to the acreage.

I recently put LED strip lighting in downstairs in the mechanical/storage room.  Replaced a bunch of old and failing fluorescent fixtures.  When I went to the box store, found some 4000K 44" strips that each put out 10,000 lumens.  I bought five.  Wow.  Like being outside on a bright sunny day.  Those fixtures were only $30 each.  Really is overkill.  If we decide to reduce the brightness, I'll move a couple fixtures to the loft over the shop.

RE: Replacing 40 W Lights - paulmaine - 10-22-2021

We use a local lighting store for our lighting questions. They carry bulbs of quality with longer guarantees.   On our large jobs they have come down to our house to make recommendations and give us wholesale prices.  We  had our 20 year old house's inside lighting updated with their expertese; we also did the outside that way after updating the walkways. We find it better to have someone who you develop a relationship with and know and trust help. 

Questions like what you are asking is what those stores will answer for free.  

Paul