Woodnet Forums
Delta DC 380 Planer? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Delta DC 380 Planer? (/showthread.php?tid=7365717)

Delta DC 380 Planer? - lift mechanic - 10-29-2021

I haven't changed the gear oil in years. I use the planer quite a bit. I cleaned the chain and re-lubed it. Checked the gearbox oil level and it was at the correct level. The oil seemed a little thin. I checked the manual and it did not state the weight of oil, just said gear oil. When I think gear oil it is 80w - 90w. Is this correct? I know I changed it 8 - 10 years ago. The manual said yearly, OOOps.

RE: Delta DC 380 Planer? - fredhargis - 10-29-2021

I have that planer, and I also haven't changed the gear oil in years. My take on that is it's important for commercial/industrial use...but for a hobbyist wayyyy overkill. Besides, it's a pain to get the new oil in. Anyway, going from memory ( I can look later when I'm in the shop) I though that oil needed to have a certain additive (high pressure something or other) and i found a Mobil one product that seemed o have it. It was 140 weight (I think, as I said...I'll look). That said, going back to the hobbyist thing I doubt it matters much what you use as long as it's a good gear oil. But all this reminds me, I do need to check it...maybe I'll put that on the list for today.

Oops, was able to check, it's 90 weight....this stuff. I remember when I bought it it fulfilled their requirements. The "high Pressure" thingy I mentioned above is really "extreme pressure" and something I dug up said this gear oil has it.

RE: Delta DC 380 Planer? - lift mechanic - 10-29-2021

Thanks for the information. It was a pain to check the oil level. Putting the oil in will be the same. Warm the oil up and squirt it in.

RE: Delta DC 380 Planer? - toolmiser - 10-29-2021

I have the 13" version (older). Mine is about 35 years old, never have changed the oil, I should, maybe this will encourage me. I may have done it when it was a couple years old, the feed would jump out of gear, and I contacted Rockwell (delta) and the advised me there was an update to the feed control and they sent me out an update kit. I don't remember I had to change it then or not. My Dad was a mechanic and he took care of it.

RE: Delta DC 380 Planer? - hcbph - 10-30-2021

One thing to watch is whether you have bronze parts in the box or not.  I don't have that planer but did find mine is supposed to have some bronze in it.  Apparently typical gear oil can eat up bronze so be aware.  I got the specs on mine and talked to Valvoline on their products and what would work or not.  Found they have a 80W-90 gear lube that plays well with bronze so that's what I used.  I did this a long time ago and no problems with it.  Just FYI