Woodnet Forums
chakte viga and grandidillo question - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: chakte viga and grandidillo question (/showthread.php?tid=7365782)

chakte viga and grandidillo question - oscarMadison - 11-01-2021

anyone turn either?  If so how does it turn?  Think easy for beginners, not likely to split out, no issues with a friction finish.  I teach a pen turning class at the local Woodcraft and picked up some of both.  I'll try turning one but sometimes what I have found easy have still split out for beginners.  I try to keep a decent selection of low problem blanks.

RE: chakte viga and grandidillo question - chips ahoy - 11-03-2021

(11-01-2021, 12:17 PM)oscarMadison Wrote: anyone turn either?  If so how does it turn?  Think easy for beginners, not likely to split out, no issues with a friction finish.  I teach a pen turning class at the local Woodcraft and picked up some of both.  I'll try turning one but sometimes what I have found easy have still split out for beginners.  I try to keep a decent selection of low problem blanks.

I have turned chakte vega.It is a very hard dense wood but it does turn well.Never had any issues with splitting.

Mel

RE: chakte viga and grandidillo question - oscarMadison - 11-04-2021

thanks. Looking for a little more variety so the students can get the pen they want.

RE: chakte viga and grandidillo question - Arlin Eastman - 11-16-2021

Granadilllo is called Mexican cocobolo rosewood and it turns the same as well but darker brown which cocobolo has more reds in it.

https://backunmusical.com/blogs/articles/cocobolo-vs-grenadilla

RE: chakte viga and grandidillo question - wood-chips - 11-20-2021

This is a Chakte Viga bowl I just finished this week. It turned nice with very little or no tear out with sharp tools. I left the rim a little thicker than I’d have liked, but the blank had some checks so I opted for thicker walls and bottom. The finish is a couple coats of briwax. It took the wax well and the finish is very smooth and has a great tactile feel.

[attachment=38873]

RE: chakte viga and grandidillo question - iclark - 11-24-2021

very nice. how big is that bowl?