Woodnet Forums
So I Decided to Build a Bed: COMPLETED !!! - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: So I Decided to Build a Bed: COMPLETED !!! (/showthread.php?tid=7365823)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: So I Decided to Build a Bed: COMPLETED !!! - TraditionalToolworks - 04-25-2022

(04-25-2022, 01:36 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: Thanks much! Not a traveling salesman, but its a bed for the guest bedroom so our guests will be quite comfortable. I am hoping to try it out at some point!
A very nice guest bed, for sure. I don't think your guests will complain about that!

Why did you say non-traditional for the project? Do you mean because of the bed bolts? Seems like the joinery is pretty traditional to me, using m&t. I think it looks XLNT, but I don't abide to any period specific projects, if they happen to fall into an era that's fine, but I don't go out of my way to make it 100% correct. More so I try to add or do something different so that my piece will be unique.

Seems to me you have quite a bit of traditional joinery and you were using hand tools for at least the assembly portion, seems kinda like the way I work.

My opinion means very little, but I think it's a fantastic piece and you completed it, what's not to like???
Winkgrin

RE: So I Decided to Build a Bed: COMPLETED !!! - Philip1231 - 04-26-2022

(04-25-2022, 04:00 PM)TraditionalToolworks Wrote: A very nice guest bed, for sure. I don't think your guests will complain about that!

Why did you say non-traditional for the project? Do you mean because of the bed bolts? Seems like the joinery is pretty traditional to me, using m&t. I think it looks XLNT, but I don't abide to any period specific projects, if they happen to fall into an era that's fine, but I don't go out of my way to make it 100% correct. More so I try to add or do something different so that my piece will be unique.

Seems to me you have quite a bit of traditional joinery and you were using hand tools for at least the assembly portion, seems kinda like the way I work.

My opinion means very little, but I think it's a fantastic piece and you completed it, what's not to like???
Winkgrin

Thanks much for the kind words. You may have misinterpreted my first post: I indicated that it was a nontraditional build post: i.e., was planning on giving status reports but far less detail than many other folks provide in the usual build post. Documenting a build can consume lots of time and effort, as anyone that has done one of these posts will tell you. Kudos to those that share their detailed builds: everyone benefits from this effort. As far a how traditional the actual bed construction was, yes, mortise/tenon construction throughout created via a combination of machine and hand tool processes. Specific details regarding the headboard/footboard construction will likely be showing up in print form in a very popular (no not "that" Popular) WW magazine in the future: stay tuned.......

RE: So I Decided to Build a Bed: COMPLETED !!! - Martin S. - 04-27-2022

Thanks for the info on the Osmo, Phil, I'll give it a try.

RE: So I Decided to Build a Bed - Mike Brady - 04-30-2022

Extremely handsome and well crafted,  which we have come to expect from you.

RE: So I Decided to Build a Bed - Philip1231 - 05-01-2022

(04-30-2022, 05:28 PM)Mike Brady Wrote: Extremely handsome and well crafted,  which we have come to expect from you.

Thank you kindly, Sir: much appreciated!

Since this post got bumped again, I thought I would add one more pic showing the bed-bolt covers: disks of ebony with rare earth magnets epoxied to the back to hold them in place.

[Image: IMG-3280.jpg]" />