Woodnet Forums
Are these Plow Plane Blades? value? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Are these Plow Plane Blades? value? (/showthread.php?tid=7365908)

Are these Plow Plane Blades? value? - BpB123 - 11-08-2021

Looking for some help confirming what I have and value . . . 

I found the following in a box of tools at an estate sale over the weekend.  I believe they are for a wooden plow plane.

They are tapered and 7 of the 8 appear to be from "San Dusky Tool Co"  (at least that is what I think the marks say.  kind of difficult with the mushrooming on then ends)
The smallest one is W Butcher, Sheffield, with an arrow and a cross logo.

They appear in reasonably good shape,  "sharpish" even.  But they are far from "show-room" condition.

Any thoughts on the value (my brief Ebay search did not find recent items) and should I clean them up?

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Brian

[attachment=38685]
[attachment=38686]
[attachment=38687]

RE: Are these Plow Plane Blades? value? - ChuckHill - 11-08-2021

Yes, those are blades for a wooden plow plane.  Value?  I'd guess in the $100 range for the lot.  The will probably sell OK in that condition.

RE: Are these Plow Plane Blades? value? - AHill - 11-09-2021

Sandusky Tool Company was located in Sandusky, Ohio. Here's some history.

http://sanduskyhistory.blogspot.com/2015/02/sandusky-tool-company.html

RE: Are these Plow Plane Blades? value? - MauleSkinner - 11-09-2021

I’m not an expert, but it appears to me (based on the groove) that the first and third one might not match the rest of the set.

I doubt that makes a difference in the value, but might be worth confirming in case somebody asks.

RE: Are these Plow Plane Blades? value? - BpB123 - 11-09-2021

Thanks! I will take a closer look at those

RE: Are these Plow Plane Blades? value? - Derek Cohen - 11-12-2021

Those blades are pretty hammered. Literally - someone used them as a chisel and wacked them repeatedly.

Regards from Perth

Derek

RE: Are these Plow Plane Blades? value? - bandit571 - 11-15-2021

Actually, those irons are how old?    And, the usual way to adjust them back them was with a hammer.   after a while, the ends get a bit beat up, sometimes they would clean off the "Mushroomed" part, and back to work.

RE: Are these Plow Plane Blades? value? - ChuckHill - 11-15-2021

Some more ideas on price from Jim Bode's site.  His prices tend to be on the high side but he usually has very nice items.