Woodnet Forums
MitreBox & Saw Rehab - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: MitreBox & Saw Rehab (/showthread.php?tid=7366000)

MitreBox & Saw Rehab - bandit571 - 11-13-2021

At a garage sale this past summer...picked a Millers Falls Miter Box with saw...
[attachment=38768]Mitre box was NAILED down to a plank....plank went to the firepit. 
The saw? NOT a real thing of beauty..
[attachment=38769]
Rusty & Krusty....handle was...ugly....WS 4" x 16"...
[attachment=38770]
I think I can does something a bit better?   bandsaw to rough out a better shape....then the Flex-shaft Dremel with several different grits of sanding drums...
[attachment=38771]
Dug through the Spares drawer, found a couple better looking bolts...sanded and stained..awaiting a refresh on the teeth..
[attachment=38772]
Then checked out how it looked IN the Mitre Box...
[attachment=38773]
Not too hateful?   Which leaves the box itself...deck needs replaced..
[attachment=38774]
Rest of the many parts need a good scrubbing down...
[attachment=38775]

New deck will need a cut-out made..
[attachment=38776]
It's where the uprights rotate in...
[attachment=38777]
Thinking a new deck made of some Quarter sawn white Ash?    Too fancy-schmanzy?  

Stay tuned..

RE: MitreBox & Saw Rehab - stav - 11-13-2021

I really like the improvement to the handle. Nice work.

RE: MitreBox & Saw Rehab - Bill_Houghton - 11-14-2021

Myself, I'd go with a blander grain, like birch or poplar, for functional reasons: less likely to splinter out as you cut the various angles.

RE: MitreBox & Saw Rehab - Admiral - 11-14-2021

Not so sure I'd spend the time on a #1816......

RE: MitreBox & Saw Rehab - bandit571 - 11-15-2021

I don't have a "Time Clock" to worry about....besides...miter box AND saw cost...$1 total....

If I had to go out and install window and/or door trim some place.....I would take this little mitersaw along...clamp it to a saw horse...and get to work....not much dust, nor much noise....The Stanley No. 358  and the Langdon No. 75 can stay in the shop..

Just a little job to pass the time on a boring weekend.....

Lets see...a "normal load in the clothes washer takes how long.....then the time to dry them....what else to do, while I wait?

Sooo, what WOULD you spend YOUR time doing?

RE: MitreBox & Saw Rehab - bandit571 - 11-15-2021

A mitre box like this was more for cutting trim, rather than Crown moldings....

Just set it up on the handy-dandy Work-a-Mate....maybe in the middle of the room you are cutting trim for...

Cope & Stick?    Cut the 45 at the end..coping saw to remove the "back cut"....

Seems to be a bit better than the plastic things you can buy at the local BORG?    Bigger saw, too.

RE: MitreBox & Saw Rehab - bandit571 - 11-19-2021

Roh....Kay, Raggy....time to get the old Wentworth No. 1 down off the shelf, dust it off with an oily cheap brush, and set it up to do a bit of work....
[attachment=38854]
Goal is to refresh them teeth on the 4" X 16" saw that came with the Mitre Box....have a 4" XX Slim saw file.....did NOT take very long, before..
[attachment=38855]
It grew a handle....had to move the saw once, while keeping track of where I stopped...

Ok...keeping things simple.   Gullets were basically fill with dried in crud...so the fir 2 strokes removed that...and the 3rd did the work on the tooth's face....did not worry about angles...file went straight across each time.  Side of the file against the tooth face was at 90 degrees , zero rake.   Ala Paul Sellers.

Earlier, I had taken a before test drive, to see how bad the saw was....10 strokes were used, did not get very far.....once the file work was done...a second test run was made...same piece of pine scrap, same number of saw strokes...results?
[attachment=38856]
Looks much better to me...I think this rehab can be called...done..

Thanks for looking in..
Winkgrin

RE: MitreBox & Saw Rehab - rwe2156 - 11-24-2021

I've got a Stanley 246 (?) that I disassembled a few years ago I've never restored and don't think I ever will.

I wish I could find someone who could use it.

RE: MitreBox & Saw Rehab - bandit571 - 11-24-2021

Currently, in the Dungeon Shop, there IS a Stanley 346 (type 1?) that is fully restored...along with the Stanley No. 358 that I have been using at the moment....there is also a Stanley #2246 and a Langdon No. 75....all are restored and very usable, right now

Nice to have a smaller mitrebox to take along to jobsites...Which is what the #1816 will be.