Woodnet Forums
Small hand plane - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Small hand plane (/showthread.php?tid=7366214)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Small hand plane - Handplanesandmore - 11-27-2021

(11-26-2021, 05:23 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: Find the right welder (of which there are darned few), and that's repairable.  One part of the trick is to clamp the sole to a true flat surface both sides of the crack.  It won't be pretty, but it's not pretty now.
If it can be fixed, I would definitely go down this path. Give the plane a second chance! What matters here is not the look of the tool, but the look of the piece it produces.

Simon

RE: Small hand plane - AHill - 11-27-2021

(11-26-2021, 10:30 AM)Bruce Haugen Wrote: Patrick Leach sells a new 601 Bedrock
http://www.supertool.com/601.htm

Nice looking plane, but honestly, at $695?  Not even ductile iron for the casting, so also prone to cracks when dropped.  For less than 25% of the cost, you can get a WoodRiver No. 1 (Chinese) with a ductile iron body which probably performs equally as well.  As pointed out in Leach's offering, Stanley did not offer the No. 1 in a Bedrock style.  So, Leach's offering is unique.  Besides, the OP wants a No. 2.

RE: Small hand plane - Admiral - 11-27-2021

(11-25-2021, 05:58 PM)RBohn Wrote: Just dropped my Stanley #2 plane and the sole cracked at the mouth. No problem, I thought. Actually a big problem for me. Vintage #2 planes have skyrocketed sine I paid $80 for mine a few decades ago. Does anyone one currently make a #2? I can't find one.

Sorry, tried to remove/replace over sized image, but failed.

With a little research and effort, you can part out that #2 on ebay for a considerable amount; lots of demand for knobs, totes, frogs and irons/chipbreakers.  That sole is pretty much toast.

RE: Small hand plane - Aram - 11-28-2021

(11-25-2021, 05:58 PM)RBohn Wrote: Just dropped my Stanley #2 plane and the sole cracked at the mouth. No problem, I thought. Actually a big problem for me. Vintage #2 planes have skyrocketed sine I paid $80 for mine a few decades ago. Does anyone one currently make a #2? I can't find one.

Sorry, tried to remove/replace over sized image, but failed.

I have a small plane you can have, if you want it. The sole is about 8 1/2" long. I don't see a maker's logo, not sure who made it, but someone cleaned it up for me years ago. I mostly use homemade woodies, and it is being wasted as a shelf queen.

PM me if you want it.

RE: Small hand plane - RBohn - 11-28-2021

(11-26-2021, 09:52 AM)AHill Wrote: Lie-Nielsen used to make No. 1 and No. 2 bench planes, but not anymore.  I have one of their No. 2's.  It's a nice plane.  Mine is manganese bronze.  I don't think they ever made a cast iron one.  WoodRiver (Woodcraft's Chinese brand) makes a No. 1 but not a No. 2.  I also checked Kunz and Clifton.  No number 2's.  I think your best bet is to check eBay or post a WTB in S&S.

Thanks for the extra research. I am surprised that there are manufacturers that make #! but not #2 planes.

RE: Small hand plane - RBohn - 11-28-2021

(11-26-2021, 05:40 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Bob Kuane?  Maybe see IF he has a #2 base casting?

Thanks for the suggestion.

RE: Small hand plane - Aram - 11-29-2021

(11-28-2021, 01:14 PM)Aram Wrote: I have a small plane you can have, if you want it. The sole is about 8 1/2" long. I don't see a maker's logo, not sure who made it, but someone cleaned it up for me years ago. I mostly use homemade woodies, and it is being wasted as a shelf queen.

PM me if you want it.

Are you not interested? You can just have it, if you want. It is a shame to have it sitting on a shelf, and someone did a nice restoration job before they gave it to me.

RE: Small hand plane - RBohn - 11-29-2021

(11-29-2021, 01:49 PM)Aram Wrote: Are you not interested? You can just have it, if you want. It is a shame to have it sitting on a shelf, and someone did a nice restoration job before they gave it to me.

Thanks for the generous offer. I have a vintage #3 and a vintage #4 that fall into that size range already. I'll bet that there are several forum members that would take you up on the offer.

RE: Small hand plane - RBohn - 11-29-2021

(11-27-2021, 06:01 PM)Admiral Wrote: With a little research and effort, you can part out that #2 on ebay for a considerable amount; lots of demand for knobs, totes, frogs and irons/chipbreakers.  That sole is pretty much toast.

If anyone on the forum is interested, I placed the plane on Ebay for parts. There are a little more than 2 days remaining and the bids have stalled out at $56.

I am assuming that the lever cap and other original parts are worth more but it may look better as the clock ticks down.

RE: Small hand plane - stav - 11-30-2021

Good luck with your sale.  I suspect it is in that pre-close state where everyone is setting up their snipes so they can get it.  

I have a #2 in the same boat, although I bought mine that way and didn't discover it until I was cleaning it.  I had been brazed so it is still functional.