Woodnet Forums
Taytools Trying to Trademark "Moxon Vise" - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Taytools Trying to Trademark "Moxon Vise" (/showthread.php?tid=7366342)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Taytools Trying to Trademark "Moxon Vise" - Admiral - 12-03-2021

Very interesting discussion about  "Trademark Trolls" : https://www.reddit.com/r/handtools/comments/r7mlz1/moxon_vise_is_now_a_registered_trademark/

Apparently there is still time to object; perhaps BenchCrafted should be interested in opposing this as if granted they could be forced to pay for/or have to litigate the right to use the term.  Pretty slimy attempt; they are also trying to trademark "Scary Sharp".

Edit:  link to Taytools website where they use "TM" after Moxon Vise.  https://taytools.com/pages/search-results-page?q=moxon+vise+hardware+kit

RE: Taytools Trying to Trademark "Moxon Vise" - ZachDillinger - 12-03-2021

Well, that is pretty scummy behavior. Shows a lack of character from the owner. I wouldn't purchase from them on a bet.

RE: Taytools Trying to Trademark "Moxon Vise" - Alan S - 12-03-2021

I think it's an odd sort of bug.  They clearly state it's called a Moxon vise because of its description in a 400 year old book.  I think the TM is left over from the Grabo, an actually trademarked name.  Note that the links incorrectly say "Moxon vise/Grabo".

Taylor Tools does not seem the type of company to intentionally try to copyright such things. My guess is that after finding the "/Grabo TM" in a description, they did a global search and replace for "/Grabo" and forgot to also remove the "TM".

(12-03-2021, 09:51 AM)Alan S Wrote: I think it's an odd sort of bug.  They clearly state it's called a Moxon vise because of its description in a 400 year old book.  I think the TM is left over from the Grabo, an actually trademarked name.  Note that the links incorrectly say "Moxon vise/Grabo".

Taylor Tools does not seem the type of company to intentionally try to copyright such things.  My guess is that after finding the "/Grabo TM" in a description, they did a global search and replace for "/Grabo" and forgot to also remove the "TM".

The Reddit link above describes that the company has filed official paperwork to trademark "Moxon vise". It isn't an artifact from a previous name. They also have TM after "Scary Sharp" on their website, which is almost as ridiculous.

RE: Taytools Trying to Trademark "Moxon Vise" - Shaun - 12-03-2021

(12-03-2021, 09:51 AM)Alan S Wrote: I think it's an odd sort of bug.  They clearly state it's called a Moxon vise because of its description in a 400 year old book.  I think the TM is left over from the Grabo, an actually trademarked name.  Note that the links incorrectly say "Moxon vise/Grabo".

Taylor Tools does not seem the type of company to intentionally try to copyright such things.  My guess is that after finding the "/Grabo TM" in a description, they did a global search and replace for "/Grabo" and forgot to also remove the "TM".

https://www.bizapedia.com/trademarks/owners/taylor-toolworks-llc.html

They applied for both Moxon Vise and Moxon Vice (along with Scary Sharp and 1-2-3 Blocks)

That seems pretty intentional and shady to me.

RE: Taytools Trying to Trademark "Moxon Vise" - merced - 12-03-2021

They are also trying to register a trademark for "1-2-3 blocks", filed the same day as their application to register "Moxon Vise".

(12-03-2021, 12:35 PM)merced Wrote: They are also trying to register a trademark for "1-2-3 blocks", filed the same day as their application to register "Moxon Vise".

Now that is truly ridiculous.

RE: Taytools Trying to Trademark "Moxon Vise" - MarkSingleton - 12-03-2021

Hmmm.  Think I will register a trademark for "shoestrings."

Laugh

RE: Taytools Trying to Trademark "Moxon Vise" - Bill_Houghton - 12-03-2021

Or "dirty jeans," and then sue anyone who refers to needing to put his/her dirty jeans in the wash.

Or maybe "screwdriver."

I don't see how they can prevail on trademarking "1-2-3 blocks."

RE: Taytools Trying to Trademark "Moxon Vise" - cpolubin - 12-03-2021

Add this to the blatant rip off of the Tite-mark design and it seems evident that the company has no morals. I have bought items from them in the past but after seeing all this, without some justification to the contrary this is not a vendor I want to do business with.

Cliff