Woodnet Forums
Lowes price games - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Lowes price games (/showthread.php?tid=7366425)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Lowes price games - Philip1231 - 12-08-2021

As soon as I see that a name brand has been taken over by a chinese company, I look for a not-made-in-china alternate. Apologies if this is too political.

RE: Lowes price games - Handplanesandmore - 12-08-2021

(12-08-2021, 05:32 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: As soon as I see that a name brand has been taken over by a chinese company, I look for a not-made-in-china alternate. Apologies if this is too political.

That option for new clamps is closing up as more and more brands turn to Asia for their manufacturing needs. If de-globalization gets its way, we may one day see a different picture. But I ain't holding my breath for now.

Simon

RE: Lowes price games - Katzrme - 12-08-2021

I go to estate and garage sales that advertise hand tools. There are usually clamps to be had. May need a little clean-up and rust removal, but I try not to buy anything made in China.

RE: Lowes price games - Cabinet Monkey - 12-08-2021

(12-08-2021, 10:22 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: I was at Lowe's two weeks ago, and noticed that all the new Jorgensen clamps are made in China. I can still find the US ones in the secondhand market. Same for Bessey clamps which are now made in China. What surprised me was when I saw the new Festool QR clamps that are made in Vietnam(?). Hey, the new QR clamps haven't lowered in price!

Simon

Festool clamps made by Bessey too.

RE: Lowes price games - Bob10 - 12-09-2021

I went a bit crazy when Amazon had the Bessey 4 packs for $93 a while back.  I don't think I will need to buy another one in my lifetime.  

These are all the old wood handled units some are still in the package.  Probably 10 or more years back

RE: Lowes price games - meackerman - 12-09-2021

(12-09-2021, 12:21 AM)Bob10 Wrote: I went a bit crazy when Amazon had the Bessey 4 packs for $93 a while back.  I don't think I will need to buy another one in my lifetime.  

These are all the old wood handled units some are still in the package.  Probably 10 or more years back

I cleaned out a number of Sears stores and HD stores when they clearanced Bessey clamps out 10-15 years ago.  One Sears store sold me KBodies for $15 each.  A HD store sold me all the Uniklamps they had for $10 each.

RE: Lowes price games - stav - 12-09-2021

(12-09-2021, 10:41 AM)meackerman Wrote: I cleaned out a number of Sears stores and HD stores when they clearanced Bessey clamps out 10-15 years ago.  One Sears store sold me KBodies for $15 each.  A HD store sold me all the Uniklamps they had for $10 each.

Wow, some good deals there.

I was never really interested in the UniKlamps until I got some in a used set. They are handy clamps to have.

RE: Lowes price games - Handplanesandmore - 12-09-2021

(12-09-2021, 12:21 AM)Bob10 Wrote: I went a bit crazy when Amazon had the Bessey 4 packs for $93 a while back.  I don't think I will need to buy another one in my lifetime.  

We can never have enough..............
Laugh

Simon

RE: Lowes price games - meackerman - 12-13-2021

(12-09-2021, 12:40 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: We can never have enough..............
Laugh

Simon

until you have a bunch and no place to store them...