Woodnet Forums
Stanley No 5 Bench Plane - SOLD - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Stanley No 5 Bench Plane - SOLD (/showthread.php?tid=7366775)

Stanley No 5 Bench Plane - SOLD - Bob Zajicek - 12-26-2021

Stanley # 5 jack plane. $59. This is a type 8, has no patent dates but with a high knob which is probably a replacement, if indeed it is a type 8. I could be completely wrong of course. I haven't purchased a Stanley bench plane in 20+ years... my Stanley type skills aren't what they used to be... actually type 11s are about all I can easily recognize at this juncture. 

If by some fluke you don't have several of these already, and would like to start your collection, this is a fabulous expample. Probably 90% of the original jappaning remains, the wood is solid, no cracks anywhere. This will make a very useful and versitile tool addition to your handtool arsenal.

You will be invoiced through my website to receive discounted a UPS rate. Any credit card is OK, PayPal is fine, no chickens please. PM me, or for a quicker response, email me at bobzajicek1@gmail.com

Thanks for stopping by and taking a look! 

Bob Zajicek, owner
www.czeckedge.com
[attachment=39561]

[attachment=39562]

[attachment=39563]

RE: Stanley No 5 Bench Plane - castguy2003 - 12-27-2021

(12-26-2021, 07:17 PM)Bob Zajicek Wrote: Stanley # 5 jack plane. $59. This is a type 8, has no patent dates but with a high knob which is probably a replacement, if indeed it is a type 8. I could be completely wrong of course. I haven't purchased a Stanley bench plane in 20+ years... my Stanley type skills aren't what they used to be... actually type 11s are about all I can easily recognize at this juncture. 

If by some fluke you don't have several of these already, and would like to start your collection, this is a fabulous expample. Probably 90% of the original jappaning remains, the wood is solid, no cracks anywhere. This will make a very useful and versitile tool addition to your handtool arsenal.

You will be invoiced through my website to receive discounted a UPS rate. Any credit card is OK, PayPal is fine, no chickens please. PM me, or for a quicker response, email me at bobzajicek1@gmail.com

Thanks for stopping by and taking a look! 

Bob Zajicek, owner
www.czeckedge.com

I just picked up a Stanley / Bailey #5 at an antique shop yesterday. Except for surface rust (looks like it was in a damp basement) it's in good shape, no handle breaks, etc. My casting side walls seem heavier than the one in your picture. BTW, paid $15.00 for mine, of course, it needs to be restored.

RE: Stanley No 5 Bench Plane - iclark - 12-27-2021

(12-27-2021, 12:41 PM)castguy2003 Wrote: I just picked up a Stanley / Bailey #5 at an antique shop yesterday. Except for surface rust (looks like it was in a damp basement) it's in good shape, no handle breaks, etc. My casting side walls seem heavier than the one in your picture. BTW, paid $15.00 for mine, of course, it needs to be restored.

If you check the date on the blade (assuming that it is original), you will likely find the the new-to-you plane was made during WW2.

Sounds like you probable got a good deal (depending on what you find under the rust and during restoration/cleanup).

That said, the deal that Bob is offering is exceptional. I just do not have room for another #5 in my tills, but I am still being tempted.

Someone please save me from this temptation.

RE: Stanley No 5 Bench Plane - Kansas City Fireslayer - 12-28-2021

I agree. That’s a nice old plane and a great price in all reality. The days of $25 for a nice old Stanley plane are over. I wouldn’t hesitate to spend $60 on this plane if I were in the market. Another consideration…there won’t be any bad surprises. Buying from the auction house is almost always a crap shoot.

RE: Stanley No 5 Bench Plane - Snipe Hunter - 12-28-2021

Don't see pre-ww2 $59 #5s too often. That's about what I paid for mine 10 years ago and I felt like I stole it.

RE: Stanley No 5 Bench Plane - Bob Zajicek - 12-29-2021

(12-28-2021, 08:31 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Don't see pre-ww2 $59 #5s too often. That's about what I paid for mine 10 years ago and I felt like I stole it.

Someone just did... finally. Thought that would be gone in hours, but it took several days. Good news, same person snagged that #5 1/2 with the Hock iron. Another trip to UPS but glad I don't have to make two! 

Cheers, Bob

RE: Stanley No 5 Bench Plane - iclark - 12-29-2021

(12-29-2021, 11:56 AM)Bob Zajicek Wrote: Someone just did... finally.

Cool My thanks to the buyer for removing that temptation from my life.
Smile

"I can resist anything except temptation."
Winkgrin

RE: Stanley No 5 Bench Plane - Snipe Hunter - 12-29-2021

(12-29-2021, 03:13 PM)iclark Wrote:
Cool My thanks to the buyer for removing that temptation from my life.
Smile

"I can resist anything except temptation."
Winkgrin

LOL, me too. I don't really NEED two but still very tempting.

RE: Stanley No 5 Bench Plane - SOLD - Cian - 01-10-2022

I saw that this had sold.
Cool  
Repeating Kansas City Fireslayer's comments, this went cheap, and I wouldn't ever hesititate buying from Bob.