Woodnet Forums
How thick glass shelve - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: How thick glass shelve (/showthread.php?tid=7367050)

Pages: 1 2

How thick glass shelve - Halfathumb - 01-09-2022

I'm making a display case that will display china. I'm planning to have a "V" groove on each shelves due to the china will be standing up, none stacked. The shelves will be approx. 14 X 36.

I originally planned to have a style up the center of the back separating 2 mirrors for additional shelve brackets. The brackets will be on the 4 corners and no style in the front where the 2 doors meet. 

If I use 3/8 thick shelves will the 4 corners offer enough shelve support with no style in the back considering no stacking of china?

Thanks in advance

Jim

RE: How thick glass shelve - Roly - 01-09-2022

(01-09-2022, 03:08 PM)Halfathumb Wrote: I'm making a display case that will display china. I'm planning to have a "V" groove on each shelves due to the china will be standing up, none stacked. The shelves will be approx. 14 X 36.

I originally planned to have a style up the center of the back separating 2 mirrors for additional shelve brackets. The brackets will be on the 4 corners and no style in the front where the 2 doors meet. 

If I use 3/8 thick shelves will the 4 corners offer enough shelve support with no style in the back considering no stacking of china?

Thanks in advance

Jim

Here is a glass calculator  calculator.   
If you go with tempered glass suggest you build the cabinet to standard sizes as it will be a lot cheaper.    Is your V notch cut in the glass shelves ? If it is it may affect the load capacity.  Roly

RE: How thick glass shelve - Halfathumb - 01-10-2022

(01-09-2022, 05:20 PM)Roly Wrote: Here is a glass calculator  calculator.   
If you go with tempered glass suggest you build the cabinet to standard sizes as it will be a lot cheaper.    Is your V notch cut in the glass shelves ? If it is it may affect the load capacity.  Roly

Thanks Roly. I'm thinking if I use tempered 3/8 I won't need the style on the back, going by the calculator each shelve should 68#.

Jim

RE: How thick glass shelve - FS7 - 01-10-2022

What we use for a liquor cabinet is an old china cabinet with similarly sized shelves (almost exactly). They are not thicker than 1/4, and only supported by four shelf pins. Even loaded with bottles, there is minimal deflection in the middle. I would think 3/8" would be more than enough with only edge support.

RE: How thick glass shelve - Cooler - 01-11-2022

Sagulator suggests that 45 - 50 pounds is the most that should be loaded on a shelf of that size.

https://woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator/

RE: How thick glass shelve - TDKPE - 01-11-2022

(01-10-2022, 11:44 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: Thanks Roly. I'm thinking if I use tempered 3/8 I won't need the style on the back, going by the calculator each shelve should 68#.

Jim

I get 238 lb capacity using 3/8" tempered, with end support only at 3 ft spacing, using that calculator.  I may be doing something wrong, of course.  1/4" yields 70 lb capacity. 

I'm assuming when they say 'capacity', it's a load distributed uniformly across the surface, but you're not going to get many plates across a 3 ft shelf, so those minor concentrated loads should not be a problem.

RE: How thick glass shelve - Cooler - 01-11-2022

(01-11-2022, 08:25 AM)Cooler Wrote: Sagulator suggests that 45 - 50 pounds is the most that should be loaded on a shelf of that size.

https://woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator/

This can be increased to 90 pounds if the ends of the shelf is anchored (not adjustable).

RE: How thick glass shelve - Woodworm! - 01-11-2022

I did 3/8" tempered glass for a bathroom linen cabinet,

RE: How thick glass shelve - iclark - 01-12-2022

(01-09-2022, 03:08 PM)Halfathumb Wrote: I'm making a display case that will display china. I'm planning to have a "V" groove on each shelves due to the china will be standing up, none stacked. The shelves will be approx. 14 X 36.

Thanks in advance

Jim

How big are you planning to make the V-groove? How are you planning to make the groove?

Unless you have a good way to deal with the microcracks introduced by that machining, I would suggest doing the strength calculation based on the thinnest part of the shelf under that groove.

Even then, it might be a good idea to use 3 brackets/pins on each end. Otherwise, you are putting all of the weight on the pre-cut to shear the shelf.

I don't recall where you are located. If you are in an earthquake zone, then you might want to add some extra safety margin to the strength calculation.

RE: How thick glass shelve - Dumb_Polack - 01-12-2022

Thanks in advance

Jim

BTW, it is spelled "stile"