Woodnet Forums
How to drill 5" x 5" holes - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: How to drill 5" x 5" holes (/showthread.php?tid=7367057)

How to drill 5" x 5" holes - Willie D - 01-09-2022

Hi folks, long time viewer first time poster.....I recently retired so its time to start on all those honey-do projects.
Saw a TP holder made of what looks to be an old piece of barn wood timber. Looks like it is approximately 5x5x24 .     It has TP roll size holes cut/drilled into it to hold 5 rolls.   They look to be drilled..... Any ideal how I could drill a hole that large and that deep ?   Thanks

RE: How to drill 5" x 5" holes - lincmercguy - 01-09-2022

I'd probably use a bandsaw with a narrow blade for those. That wouldn't work for the bottom one unless you cut through the bottom first.

RE: How to drill 5" x 5" holes - lift mechanic - 01-09-2022

How about a 5" hole saw. Drill as deep as possible. Chisel out the piece and continue with the hole saw.

RE: How to drill 5" x 5" holes - toolmiser - 01-09-2022

Use a hole saw and drill as deep as possible, extend center hole all the way thru with a long twist drill, and then use a hole saw from the opposite side. Then you can use a manual or power saw the cut the perimeter. Might even work with a jig saw with long blade.

RE: How to drill 5" x 5" holes - Terry W - 01-09-2022

I would just carefully bandsaw out the holes then attach sandpaper to the plug and sand the inside smooth.

RE: How to drill 5" x 5" holes - Bob10 - 01-10-2022

(01-09-2022, 07:10 PM)Willie D Wrote: Hi folks, long time viewer first time poster.....I recently retired so its time to start on all those honey-do projects.
Saw a TP holder made of what looks to be an old piece of barn wood timber. Looks like it is approximately 5x5x24 .     It has TP roll size holes cut/drilled into it to hold 5 rolls.   They look to be drilled..... Any ideal how I could drill a hole that large and that deep ?   Thanks

I would drill a pilot hole through the piece and go at it with a hole saw from both sides.  Then again I have a 5" hole saw already

RE: How to drill 5" x 5" holes - Cooler - 01-10-2022

Amana tool makes 6" long 1/2" diameter router bits.  Pair it with a circle cutter and you have your holes. 

I don't think it pays, however.  The bit costs $120.00.

https://www.toolstoday.com/v-12444-hss1214.html

RE: How to drill 5" x 5" holes - MstrCarpenter - 01-13-2022

Or start swapping rolls when they're down to about 4". The bits are more common.