Woodnet Forums
Electrical question - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Electrical question (/showthread.php?tid=7367085)

Pages: 1 2

Electrical question - RichK - 01-10-2022

Mother-in-law has a Devilbliss oxygen concentrator in her bedroom that is used only at night. 120v, 60 hz. She has trouble turning on the unit by herself. Would connecting a wireless remote control damage an oxygen concentrator? I use this to control 3 computer monitors on my desk. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant-Wireless-Indoor-Outdoor-Remote-Control-YLT-42/301844750.
I'd love to connect something like this to make life easier for her. I'm not sure how to assess whether it's suitable. Thx

RE: Electrical question - Snipe Hunter - 01-11-2022

Not sure why it wouldn't be fine but maybe a call to the manufacturer?

RE: Electrical question - fixtureman - 01-11-2022

We have 3 different concentrators and they all have just a standard on off switch so that should work fine

RE: Electrical question - crokett™ - 01-11-2022

As long as the concentrator has a standard on off switch and doesn’t need constant power to remember any settings that should work.

RE: Electrical question - Roly - 01-11-2022

(01-11-2022, 05:02 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Not sure why it wouldn't be fine but maybe a call to the manufacturer?

+1  call the manufacture.     If it does not have some type of automatic shut down procedure that might clean it or something when you shut it down I don't see an issue.  But the company would know this.     Roly

RE: Electrical question - messmaker - 01-11-2022

(01-11-2022, 07:52 AM)Roly Wrote: +1  call the manufacture.     If it does not have some type of automatic shut down procedure that might clean it or something when you shut it down I don't see an issue.  But the company would know this.     Roly
They may hesitate to say yes, due to liability reasons. I suspect that they would not want another possible point of failure introduced, even if they thought it would work.

RE: Electrical question - fredhargis - 01-11-2022

(01-11-2022, 09:03 AM)messmaker Wrote: They may hesitate to say yes, due to liability reasons. I suspect that they would not want another possible point of failure introduced, even if they thought it would work.

That may be the case, if so he may need to re word the question...maybe something like "can I unplug this when it's not in use?".

RE: Electrical question - JosephP - 01-11-2022

(01-11-2022, 09:09 AM)fredhargis Wrote: That may be the case, if so he may need to re word the question...maybe something like "can I unplug this when it's not in use?".

or even:  "is it OK to use the unit on a switched receptacle" there are plenty of those around and that is what this is - just a different kind of switch.

RE: Electrical question - Admiral - 01-11-2022

(01-11-2022, 09:32 AM)JosephP Wrote: or even:  "is it OK to use the unit on a switched receptacle" there are plenty of those around and that is what this is - just a different kind of switch.

This ^^^^ is the way . . . . .

RE: Electrical question - measurecutcurse - 01-12-2022

(01-11-2022, 05:02 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Not sure why it wouldn't be fine but maybe a call to the manufacturer?

I work in the medical device field. IME, if the manufacturer hasn't tested what you want to use, they can't recommend using that type of switch. There are regulatory implications.

However, given the fairly simple electronics in a concentrator, I would not have reservations using such a switch. Seems like a good solution.