Woodnet Forums
Cutting formica - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Cutting formica (/showthread.php?tid=7367243)

Pages: 1 2

Cutting formica - chizlr40 - 01-20-2022

I have a 4 inch Formica backsplash that is separate from the countertop. Over the years is has come away from the wall behind the sink due to water intrusion. I am wanting to cut that section out using a zip saw,repair the drywall behind it and reinstall with a seam. Will this work without a lot of tearout? Anyone done this before using other tecniques

RE: Cutting formica - Cooler - 01-20-2022

I would use an oscillating saw.  I think it will be easier to maintain a straight line.  Any roughness can be addressed by gluing sandpaper to the flat surface of an oscillating blade and dressing the edge.

I suspect that the laminate will be hard on the blade of the oscillating saw--and those blades wear fairly quickly to begin with.  So make sure you have a few extra blades on hand.

RE: Cutting formica - chizlr40 - 01-20-2022

I am afraid that saw blade would be pounding and damaging the countertop. Remember it's all installed and glued,well sorta, to the wall. I don't believe the line is a concern since I will butt the two pieces together with a small caulk line

RE: Cutting formica - crokett™ - 01-20-2022

Oscillating blades don't pound. They slide very quickly back and forth, but in very small movements. I'm not sure why you care about the wall behind it since you're presumably removing the damaged drywall and patching in new. I wouldn't have seam directly behind the sink. I would cut it at either end of the sink and have 2 seams.

RE: Cutting formica - rwe2156 - 01-20-2022

It will be very difficult to get a really good straight cut, but its possible if you're skillful enough.

Personally, I'd just replace the whole section of backsplash.

RE: Cutting formica - joe1086 - 01-20-2022

(01-20-2022, 10:31 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: It will be very difficult to get a really good straight cut, but its possible if you're skillful enough.

That's what I'd do.

Or replace it with a single line of subway tile.

RE: Cutting formica - crokett™ - 01-20-2022

(01-20-2022, 10:31 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: It will be very difficult to get a really good straight cut, but its possible if you're skillful enough.

If I really wanted to save the backsplash I would pull the entire length, repair the wall as necessary and then put it back.   

Most formica counters I've seen the backsplash was not a separate piece from the counter.  It was all one piece molded to the (usually particle board) underlayment.

(01-20-2022, 11:48 AM)crokett™ Wrote: If I really wanted to save the backsplash I would pull the entire length, repair the wall as necessary and then put it back.   

Most formica counters I've seen the backsplash was not a separate piece from the counter.  It was all one piece molded to the (usually particle board) underlayment.

Mine is a separate piece, perhaps because the window position required a special size back splash.  All the counters were fabricated "old style" with a narrow strip across the face and not post formed.

I don't know why they did that.  The kitchen predates my purchase of the house.

RE: Cutting formica - Roly - 01-20-2022

(01-20-2022, 12:18 PM)Cooler Wrote: Mine is a separate piece, perhaps because the window position required a special size back splash.  All the counters were fabricated "old style" with a narrow strip across the face and not post formed.

I don't know why they did that.  The kitchen predates my purchase of the house.

Are you sure it is not connected to the countertop, most were.  They were a separate piece that was screwed to the countertop.  Roly