Woodnet Forums
Where to find screwdriver bits? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Where to find screwdriver bits? (/showthread.php?tid=7367617)

Pages: 1 2

Where to find screwdriver bits? - iclark - 02-10-2022

I picked up a BOSCH GDX18V-1800CB15 Freak 18V EC Brushless Connected-Ready 1/4 In. and 1/2 In. Two-In-One Bit/Socket Impact Driver this week.

I also picked up a Bosch set of 1/4" shank bits for it, but I wasn't paying enough attention and the bit are all small tip.

I loaned it to a friend because he has a stainless steel toilet seat screw stuck. The largest slot bit that I had was 1/4" (S 8, I think that it is called).

I am having trouble finding a good source for 1/4" shank bits that are larger (and impact rated) without having to pay $10-$50 each.

Any recommendation for brands and sources for decent quality 1/4"-shank slot bits in the 3/8", 1/2", and 5/8" ranges that won't make me cry when one breaks?

Before anyone asks: no, I have no idea why I would want to spend another 10 or 20 $ to add the bluetooth connection option.

RE: Where to find screwdriver bits? - Tapper - 02-10-2022

Have you looked at Harbor Freight?

Doug

RE: Where to find screwdriver bits? - iclark - 02-11-2022

(02-10-2022, 10:08 PM)Tapper Wrote: Have you looked at Harbor Freight?

Doug

I found the 1/2" socket screwdriver bits here
but I haven't found the 1/4"-shank ones that I could use in my other tools.

RE: Where to find screwdriver bits? - KyleD - 02-11-2022

Have you considered an 1/2 adapter to 1/4 hex bit adapter? 
Sorry, re-read the message and realize an adapter probably won't help but this wonderfull forum software won't let me delete the whole message.

RE: Where to find screwdriver bits? - Woodshop - 02-11-2022

you know you can drive the broken ones out of the socket and replace. I have dun this with the ones for rotating my planer inserts.
Menards has a set 3/8 drive not impact but lifetime guarantee  3/8 drive linked

(02-11-2022, 06:23 AM)KyleD Wrote: Have you considered an 1/2 adapter to 1/4 hex bit adapter? 
Sorry, re-read the message and realize an adapter probably won't help but this wonderfull forum software won't let me delete the whole message.

Thanks. I understand about the confusion about the adapter. This series of drivers is the only one that I recall having both the 1/4" hex shaft socket and the 1/2" square socket drive in the same drive head.

I definitely feel your frustration about the current software features.
Sigh

Your try to help me is still very much appreciated.
Yes

(02-11-2022, 10:13 AM)Woodshop Wrote: you know you can drive the broken ones out of the socket and replace. I have dun this with the ones for rotating my planer inserts.
Menards has a set 3/8 drive not impact but lifetime guarantee  3/8 drive linked

I often wish that we had a Menards within a few states distance of us. The last time that I looked, the closest was in Ohio.

I do not have any broken ones (yet). Being able to drive a broken bit out of a socket is good to know, but it does me little good if I cannot buy a replacement for the broken one.

I am looking for some larger than S8 slot screwdriver bits with a 1/4" hex shaft so that I can use them in both the new hammer driver as well as in all of the ratchet screwdrivers that I have scattered all over the shop. I even have the LV adapter to use 1/4" hex shaft bits in a brace.

RE: Where to find screwdriver bits? - thewalnutguy - 02-11-2022

Over 50 years ago I bought a hammer-driven impact driver that came with several screw driver bits. The tool was used where I needed to remove some large phillips-head screws, and use of this tool forced the bit into the head of the screw while simultaneously applying rotational force. I checked Amazon for such a tool and found  https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-2905-8-Inch-Manual-7-Piece/dp/B000NPPATS?th=1  That kit comes with a 3/8" square drive bit holder and a set of screwdriver bits, including 5/16 and 3/8 flat screwdriver bits,  the bit chuck, and some phillips bits. There's also a link there to just a set of 7 driver bits, the widest 1/2".  I don't know if you'd be able to get just the 3/8" drive bit holder by itself, but I'd expect that a plain 5/16" socket, or an impact-rated 5/16 socket would work as the 3/8" hex bit chuck.

RE: Where to find screwdriver bits? - iclark - 02-12-2022

(02-11-2022, 09:38 PM)thewalnutguy Wrote: Over 50 years ago I bought a hammer-driven impact driver that came with several screw driver bits. The tool was used where I needed to remove some large phillips-head screws, and use of this tool forced the bit into the head of the screw while simultaneously applying rotational force. I checked Amazon for such a tool and found  https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-2905-8-Inch-Manual-7-Piece/dp/B000NPPATS?th=1  That kit comes with a 3/8" square drive bit holder and a set of screwdriver bits, including 5/16 and 3/8 flat screwdriver bits,  the bit chuck, and some phillips bits. There's also a link there to just a set of 7 driver bits, the widest 1/2".  I don't know if you'd be able to get just the 3/8" drive bit holder by itself, but I'd expect that a plain 5/16" socket, or an impact-rated 5/16 socket would work as the 3/8" hex bit chuck.

The Bosch hammer driver has a 1/2" square drive. I've got 1/4" and 3/8" socket sets in my shop and in my garage. I never had a need before for 1/2" drive socket sets since I pretty much stopped doing that sort of auto repair once I could afford to move out of my parents house.

On that same link, they also have the 1/2" square drive version. So, for $24, I can get the 1/2" square drive to 5/16" hex shank bit adapter and have a manual impact driver to stick in a drawer somewhere.

Then, I can get a 5/16" hex shank impact bits that includes Slotted 1/4-Inch, 5/16-Inch, 3/8-Inch and 1/2-Inch Bits

That does solve the short term need for wider slot-drive screwdriver bits for the hammer driver,
but it still doesn't give me bits that I can use in all my non-powered ratchet screwdrivers.

RE: Where to find screwdriver bits? - thewalnutguy - 02-12-2022

(02-12-2022, 01:36 AM)iclark Wrote: The Bosch hammer driver has a 1/2" square drive. I've got 1/4" and 3/8" socket sets in my shop and in my garage. I never had a need before for 1/2" drive socket sets since I pretty much stopped doing that sort of auto repair once I could afford to move out of my parents house.

On that same link, they also have the 1/2" square drive version. So, for $24, I can get the 1/2" square drive to 5/16" hex shank bit adapter and have a manual impact driver to stick in a drawer somewhere.

Then, I can get a 5/16" hex shank impact bits that includes Slotted 1/4-Inch, 5/16-Inch, 3/8-Inch and 1/2-Inch Bits

That does solve the short term need for wider slot-drive screwdriver bits for the hammer driver,
but it still doesn't give me bits that I can use in all my non-powered ratchet screwdrivers.

get a 1/4" hex  drive 5/16 chuck to use 5/16" hex shank screwdriver bits with your  non-powered ratchet screwdrivers. https://www.amazon.com/Malco-MSHC-Reversible-Chuck-Driver/dp/B094YTC153/ref=sr_1_3?crid=I9SS7G050VYC&keywords=1%2F4+hex+driver+5%2F16+chuck&qid=1644671675&sprefix=1%2F4+hex+drive+5%2F16+chuck%2Caps%2C100&sr=8-3