Woodnet Forums
My CNC Arrived - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: My CNC Arrived (/showthread.php?tid=7367838)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

My CNC Arrived - jteneyck - 02-22-2022

My OneFiniity Journeyman arrived today.  Three heavy boxes, one with each rail plus the accessories tucked in, all beautifully packed.  And just as others who have bought a 1F have said, I had it together in about an hour, far less time than with most new pieces of woodworking equipment.  Well written directions (Canadian company), and plug and play cables make it very simple.  I hooked up my laptop to the controller, turned it on, and crossed my fingers.  Well, what do you know, it works. 

[Image: AM-JKLWm21mRyrG0LEcZUKntDnmy5iD-ZIlOUwac...authuser=1]

I'll get the router and dust collection hooked up tomorrow and then start working on a spoilboard.  

John

RE: My CNC Arrived - jeffss - 02-23-2022

Looks great! Waiting on mine. If I can ask, what is your top size and where do you plan on mounting the controller?

RE: My CNC Arrived - jteneyck - 02-23-2022

(02-23-2022, 09:17 AM)jeffss Wrote: Looks great! Waiting on mine. If I can ask, what is your top size and where do you plan on mounting the controller?

The tabletop is 48 x 70.  I should have made it 80" wide so the laptop can sit on top, but was trying to keep the size reasonable.  I'm not using a touch screen monitor (yet); the laptop takes it's place.  I'll probably make a small fold down panel on the left side for the laptop to sit on.  

The controller sits on the left side of the tabletop; you can just see the red E-stop button.  I probably will move it below the tabletop onto the side of the left cabinet, but need cable extensions to do that.  With the standard cables the controller pretty much has to go where I have it now.  

More photos after I get the spoilboard in place, dust collection hooked up, etc.  

John

RE: My CNC Arrived - paul2004 - 02-23-2022

that's pretty cool that they were able to design it to be assembled in about an hour, and then it just works..
You'll have a lot of fun with it .

RE: My CNC Arrived - APZ - 02-23-2022

Just ordered the same thing last week. Looking forward to your setup. I want to build an enclosure and wonder how deep the base needs to be.

(02-23-2022, 08:56 PM)APZ Wrote: Just ordered the same thing last week.  Looking forward to your setup.  I want to build an enclosure and wonder how deep the base needs to be.

You should join the OneFinity users forum on Facebook.  Those folks say the tabletop needs to be 54" deep if you want to put an enclosure on top in order to accommodate the dust boot.  

FWIW, with a palm router and shop vac running the 1F is quieter than any combination of my TS, jointer, planer, etc. plus dust collector.  I can hear it running upstairs but it doesn't interfere with watching TV, having a normal conversation, etc.  

John

I installed the dust boot today and hooked up my shop vac/Dust Deputy to it in a very unprofessional way with some bungy cords.  I suspended the router power cord with another bungy cord; it'll do while I sort everything out.  I installed the spoilboard and set about flattening it.  

[Image: AM-JKLVzp8YTnsJm51AWTjMVdztDnNxVVwxJcKR5...authuser=1]

I set the 1" bit to take off 0.005".  Where I started at the front it was just about that amount, but the further it moved towards the back the deeper the cut became, and it was at least 1/16" by the time it got to the back, 2-1/2 hours later. 

[Image: AM-JKLUq_gMXmfLS4TpScb92x53aTpxbvYcg4IAj...authuser=1]

I first thought it was because the torsion box wasn't flat (it's not, but it's not that far off), but later realized that the MDF was humping up as I cut it.  I had only screwed it down in 4 places.  I bought the MDF more than a month ago, but the only reason I can think of why it would bow like that is because of a moisture imbalance.  I'm going to have to do it over.  

The good news is that the shop vac did a good job of removing the dust as it was generated, and the Dust Deputy did an awesome job of spinning out the dust and keeping the filter in my shop vac clean.  I don't think I'll need to use my big dust collector, which is a good thing from both a noise and power usage standpoint.  

[Image: AM-JKLWkvGIsz9HeJBPAmKg1SXjyNndpwcw9k_-C...authuser=1]

[Image: AM-JKLXwuKJHS0zcLS-OdjwjpxfXmNs0Db7q00qx...authuser=1]

The further good news is that the machine works as it should.  I can testify, however, that if your toolpath has ANY errors in it there's likely to be an unpleasant surprise.  After the main field of the spoilboard had been flattened, the toolpath instructed the bit to make a pass around the perimeter to clean things up.  That was fine, except that halfway around the bit started to ramp down another 0.005".  I hit the E stop before it did anything worse.  Sure enough, there was a command in the Gcode telling it to go 0.005" deeper.  When I scrutinized my VCarve drawing I found an unwanted vector that I think was the culprit.  The machine does only what you tell it, so you have to be sure you're telling it only what you want it to do. 

One of the reasons I bought a CNC was to keep my mind engaged.  It's working.  

John

RE: My CNC Arrived - jeffss - 02-23-2022

Looks good.  I am sharing in your fun until mine gets here.  Keep posting the progress!

RE: My CNC Arrived - Juss1 - 02-24-2022

Thanks for the update John. John already knows this as we've been discussing the topic through PMs but I actually have the same machine. In fact mine arrived a month earlier but have been much slower at putting together because work and life keeps getting in the way. Seeing your pics though I think gave me the kick in the a$$ to get this thing finally put together.

How do you like the suck-it dust boot. I was originally planning on printing my own but I now realize I won't have the time so I'm gonna buy one. I've seen mixed reviews for the suck-it and was considering a couple of options from Etsy.

Can you share what was the stray vector that caused the undesired ramp and how it got into design. Curious as I'll be flattening my spoilboard soon.

Hopefully I'll post some my pics by this weekend after I do the flattening and grid work.

RE: My CNC Arrived - atgcpaul - 02-24-2022

(02-23-2022, 10:11 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I first thought it was because the torsion box wasn't flat (it's not, but it's not that far off), but later realized that the MDF was humping up as I cut it.

The good news is that the shop vac did a good job of removing the dust as it was generated, and the Dust Deputy did an awesome job of spinning out the dust and keeping the filter in my shop vac clean.  I don't think I'll need to use my big dust collector, which is a good thing from both a noise and power usage standpoint.  

Oh, wow, I did not think you could supply your own worksurface (torsion box), but now that I see your setup, why not?  That must cost out some cost especially in shipping.

Also good news about the dust collection.