Woodnet Forums
Removing PVA Glue - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Removing PVA Glue (/showthread.php?tid=7367899)

Removing PVA Glue - Herb - 02-25-2022

Any suggestion on removing PVA glue from my Bessy Parallel clamps. Mine are old and with grinding off the bottom dimples to get the bottom clamp off.

RE: Removing PVA Glue - fredhargis - 02-25-2022

I have a few of the original ones, and  did grind the dimple off. I was able t buy those black "feet" that serve as a stop from Bessey (this was some years ago) and after drilling the hole needed installed them. Anyway, try some heat to soften the glue and then use a wire brush to remove it. the glue should soften somewhere around 140-150º so the bar may be hot to the touch, wear gloves and use a heat gun to soften the glue.

RE: Removing PVA Glue - TheCabinetmaker - 02-25-2022

I have found that PVA glues can sometimes be softened with Denatured Alcohol. Take a rag saturated with it and let it sit for a while, keeping the wet with the DA. Then use a piece of hardwood scrap to knock it off. I use this method with Titebond type 3. Let me know how it works for you.

RE: Removing PVA Glue - alexh1 - 02-25-2022

Acetone works well but evaporates so fast. My Bessey clamps are really bad, I was thinking of buying pvc pipe, capping one end and filling with acetone to soak/submerge the rails (although I think acetone will soften the pvc because I believe PVC primer is acetone). Now I put wax paper over the rails when gluing but the damage is already done.

RE: Removing PVA Glue - Herb - 02-25-2022

Thanks all for your advice.

RE: Removing PVA Glue - JayGDub1 - 02-27-2022

I think acetone is a bit too strong; mild acids can be effective. I would try vinegar.

RE: Removing PVA Glue - john jesseph - 02-27-2022

Have you thought about De-Glue Goo? I’ve not used it, but I’d try it for that purpose. I think it’s a gel form of vinegar.

RE: Removing PVA Glue - rwe2156 - 03-03-2022

I just scrub along the sides (avoiding the tops and bottoms) with an old scraper blade.

There is a fellow on YouTube who designed an apparatus using pvc pipe.

https://youtu.be/IH39f0qhuG4

RE: Removing PVA Glue - wood-chips - 03-05-2022

A soft wire brush on an angle grinder makes quick work of removing glue.