Woodnet Forums
Walnut oil based poly and BLO? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Walnut oil based poly and BLO? (/showthread.php?tid=7368073)

Walnut oil based poly and BLO? - ®smpr_fi_mac® - 03-08-2022

Customer wants oil based poly on the walnut table I'm building.  I like using Varathane's oil poly cut 50% with mineral spirits to make a wipe on poly.

As we all know, walnut looks amazing when BLO is poured over it.  My question is this:  Should I apply BLO and then the oil poly or should I just apply the oil poly?  Will the application of the BLO even be noticeable?

Or should I mix up a batch of 1:1:1 poly, mineral spirits, and BLO?

RE: Walnut oil based poly and BLO? - jteneyck - 03-08-2022

(03-08-2022, 01:10 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: Customer wants oil based poly on the walnut table I'm building.  I like using Varathane's oil poly cut 50% with mineral spirits to make a wipe on poly.

As we all know, walnut looks amazing when BLO is poured over it.  My question is this:  Should I apply BLO and then the oil poly or should I just apply the oil poly?  Will the application of the BLO even be noticeable?

Or should I mix up a batch of 1:1:1 poly, mineral spirits, and BLO?

Yes, BLO really brings out the colors in walnut, especially air-dried stock.  And yes, you will see a difference if you use BLO first.  In any case, it doesn't take much; you do not want or need to pour it on.  You need nothing more than a very light coat wiped on with a rag and then left to cure before applying the OB poly.  24 hours at 70F should do it.  

That's the approach I'd take if applying a poly topcoat.  Your other approach of using a varnish/oil/MS mix does not require nor need pretreatment with BLO.  

John

RE: Walnut oil based poly and BLO? - fredhargis - 03-09-2022

The film of the danish oil may be a little softer than straight varnish, and may not be as durable as the varnish applied over the BLO. Just something to keep in mind.

RE: Walnut oil based poly and BLO? - AHill - 03-09-2022

Mix it all together. It'll cut your cure time quite a bit. I've seen the 1:1:1 MS/BLO/Poly mix recommended in several sources - even on this forum.