Woodnet Forums
Delta DP 17-900 - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Delta DP 17-900 (/showthread.php?tid=7368236)

Delta DP 17-900 - George Denecke - 03-17-2022

I get lots of use out of this DP but I don't ask too much of it. My problem is with the clamp that locks the table to the floor post. I made an auxiliary table top out of MDF with a fence. Often, as I walk by the DP or inadvertently push on the end of the table it slips out of position. The tool came with a knob for this clamp and I upgraded it to a cam clamp for additional force. It's surprising and frustrating to lose arm & hand strength by going on Medicare but I'm trying to carry on. 
So, has anyone come up with a better solution to the problem of the slippery column clamp?? TIA.....George

RE: Delta DP 17-900 - wjt - 03-17-2022

I found adding a 6" wooden extension to the original handle on my drill press made adjusting the column clamp much easier. The extension is a 1" diameter dowel hollowed out to slip over the original handle. Some electrical tape and hose clamp ensures the dowel doesn't split. It has lasted 15 years so far.

Bill

RE: Delta DP 17-900 - barryvabeach - 03-17-2022

I did similar to Bill, but on a bench top drill press, and the extension would hang up on the base when I lowered the table.   I just made a cam for mine - it took about a day, and a metal lathe,  but very happy with it.   If you have a full sized drill,  go with Bill's mod.

RE: Delta DP 17-900 - kurt18947 - 04-17-2022

(03-17-2022, 09:58 AM)George Denecke Wrote: I get lots of use out of this DP but I don't ask too much of it. My problem is with the clamp that locks the table to the floor post. I made an auxiliary table top out of MDF with a fence. Often, as I walk by the DP or inadvertently push on the end of the table it slips out of position. The tool came with a knob for this clamp and I upgraded it to a cam clamp for additional force. It's surprising and frustrating to lose arm & hand strength by going on Medicare but I'm trying to carry on. 
So, has anyone come up with a better solution to the problem of the slippery column clamp?? TIA.....George

How often do you change the table on purpose? If not very often, how about a bolt & nut? Keep the correct sized socket with ratchet handy. You could make the ratchet handle as long as necessary.

RE: Delta DP 17-900 - Cian - 04-18-2022

Apparently it is not an isolated problem. FineWoodworking had a solution similar to WJT's above here:
https://www.finewoodworking.com/2007/07/26/extend-the-locking-lever-on-your-drill-press

[Image: eyJlZGl0cyI6eyJyZXNpemUiOnsid2lkdGgiOjYw...4uanBnIn0=]

Along these lines, I believe there was a post where someone had introduced additional hardware to their drill press so that the table height pinion and maybe even the locking mechanism were both now manipulated from the front of the saw. Heck, I even remember years ago where someone here had mounted an electric motor to activate the pinion gear (that was cool).

<deleted re-post>  ..........................

Apparently Woodsmith (our host) has plans to do these modifications I just described:

https://www.woodsmith.com/article/upgrade-your-drill-press-table/

To reposition the control for the height adjustment pinion gear to the front:
[Image: detail1-hd.jpg]

As well as extend the table collar lock off to the side to be more accessible with an auxilary table:
[Image: Annotation_2020-04-07_220503.png]