Woodnet Forums
Old Flooring - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Old Flooring (/showthread.php?tid=7368727)

Old Flooring - lincmercguy - 04-21-2022

Is it worth saving old wood flooring for material? It's prefinished oak, fairly narrow. I was thinking it could be planed down a bit and glued up sideways to make a thick bench top or something along those lines. I saw Amazon has pneumatic nail removers. It wouldn't be worth trying to remove them all by hand.

RE: Old Flooring - Bob10 - 04-22-2022

(04-21-2022, 10:41 PM)lincmercguy Wrote: Is it worth saving old wood flooring for material? It's prefinished oak, fairly narrow. I was thinking it could be planed down a bit and glued up sideways to make a thick bench top or something along those lines. I saw Amazon has pneumatic nail removers. It wouldn't be worth trying to remove them all by hand.

I use it for small projects all the time.

RE: Old Flooring - Philip1231 - 04-23-2022

Depending on the age of the flooring, the finish could contain lead. Just a friendly caution.

RE: Old Flooring - lincmercguy - 04-23-2022

It shouldn't, it was laid in the mid to late 80s.

RE: Old Flooring - K. L. McReynolds - 04-24-2022

I bought way too much  unfinished hard maple flooring(too much was less expensive than the proper amount) since it was a factory buy out and needed over a million feet gone quickly.

I used it for all kinds of projects after ripping off the tongues and grooves and planing the grooves on the bottom level. Left stock a bit over 1/2" thick by 3" wide.

Run over a jointer prepped glue up edges, so could make whatever width I needed.

Only gotcha on used would be nails/staples.

RE: Old Flooring - Rick LoDico - 04-27-2022

I built some 8' shelves for my shed out of Brazilian cherry

RE: Old Flooring - kurt18947 - 05-04-2022

(04-24-2022, 08:39 PM)K. L. McReynolds Wrote: I bought way too much  unfinished hard maple flooring(too much was less expensive than the proper amount) since it was a factory buy out and needed over a million feet gone quickly.

I used it for all kinds of projects after ripping off the tongues and grooves and planing the grooves on the bottom level. Left stock a bit over 1/2" thick by 3" wide.

Run over a jointer prepped glue up edges, so could make whatever width I needed.

Only gotcha on used would be nails/staples.
This. Having to sharpen or replace planer knives could make a bargain not a bargain.