Woodnet Forums
Disston 3D Saw Vise - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Disston 3D Saw Vise (/showthread.php?tid=7368762)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Disston 3D Saw Vise - Bill_Houghton - 05-02-2022

A question on the Disston (I'm doing this from memory, the vise being out in the shed, and me not in the shed): if memory serves, the vise jaws are the top of a heavy u-shaped casting (casting, yes?) which is bent to close the jaws by a cammed lever.  Are there issues with stress cracks in that casting over time?

RE: Disston 3D Saw Vise - TraditionalToolworks - 05-02-2022

(05-02-2022, 07:18 AM)Pedder Wrote: One of the very few tools I'm lusting after these days.
Impossible to find a seller who will ***** this cross the ocean.
Now you know how I feel buying Deckel tooling in Germany! ROTFLMAO

(05-02-2022, 10:04 AM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: A question on the Disston (I'm doing this from memory, the vise being out in the shed, and me not in the shed): if memory serves, the vise jaws are the top of a heavy u-shaped casting (casting, yes?) which is bent to close the jaws by a cammed lever.  Are there issues with stress cracks in that casting over time?
I've seen them cracked in different spots, but usually it's on the neck where the jaws attach. Like most everything that was cast iron in days of lore, it cracks easily but was the way we were able to build things in the past prior to milling becoming mature. Same goes for the Emmert vises, just huge and big pieces of cast iron that make it problematic with weight and sudden impacts.

RE: Disston 3D Saw Vise - Bill_Houghton - 05-02-2022

I'll do my best not to drop it
Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin

RE: Disston 3D Saw Vise - TraditionalToolworks - 05-03-2022

(05-02-2022, 03:24 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: I'll do my best not to drop it
Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin
That'll go a long way to helping extend it's life!
Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin

They can always be braised, even if they do break. Just like any other tool, if it breaks you fix it.

RE: Disston 3D Saw Vise - Pedder - 05-03-2022

(05-02-2022, 01:44 PM)TraditionalToolworks Wrote: Now you know how I feel buying Deckel tooling in Germany! ROTFLMAO

If you need a pass through station in Germany, contact me.

Cheers
Pedder

RE: Disston 3D Saw Vise - Bill_Houghton - 05-03-2022

(05-03-2022, 03:24 AM)TraditionalToolworks Wrote: They can always be braised, even if they do break.

Do you recommend braising the cast iron with carrots and onions, or with potatoes?  Or did you mean "brazed"?

Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin

RE: Disston 3D Saw Vise - TraditionalToolworks - 05-03-2022

(05-03-2022, 06:57 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: Do you recommend braising the cast iron with carrots and onions, or with potatoes?  Or did you mean "brazed"?
Well, I removed your smiles but I normally use brass, but if carrots, onions or potatoes would work I could have my wife fix my cast iron for me.

I'm just a hypocrite speller in this case!
Big Grin

RE: Disston 3D Saw Vise - TraditionalToolworks - 05-09-2022

Hi folks,

This is a bad forum for me to hang out on...not only did I buy this 3rd Disston 3D, I have now committed to an Acme filer w/vise that I wouldn't have expected to pop up.

With so many vises I really don't need this 3rd vise. I have offered it to Pedder, so he gets first shot if he wants it.

If Pedder doesn't want it, which I don't think he does, I would like to offer this to someone local to the Bay Area that doesn't have one of these and would like one.

If nobody is local to pick it up, it is still packed and I could drop it off at either USPS or FedEx ground. I got it on FedEx ground and it costs about $20 for shipping.

I will sell it for $60 + shipping if Pedder doesn't want it. Special pricing for Pedder as he was the one who was looking for the Acme I'm buying.

I am in no need to sell it, so nobody needs to fret over it...it's in my shop, most likely growing more rust inside the box.

Anyone interested, PM me.

RE: Disston 3D Saw Vise - Pedder - 05-10-2022

Hi Allen,

thanks for the offer, but that is not what I'm looking for. Though I think it is better than a Gramercy, because it is cast iron

Cheers
Pedder

RE: Disston 3D Saw Vise - TraditionalToolworks - 05-10-2022

(05-10-2022, 02:48 PM)Pedder Wrote: thanks for the offer, but that is not what I'm looking for. Though I think it is better than a Gramercy, because it is cast iron
I don't know about that, the Grammercy most likely operates and opens/closes very smoothly.

It is true that it is not cast iron, but it's not a 100 year old tool either.

To me they're different. The 3D is old school, the Grammercy is a new version of old school.

OTOH, I have a Disston #2 that I have used a lot also, it's plenty big enough for most backsaws, it only needs to hold the teeth firmly so it doesn't chatter when you file.

I even think a DIY wooden vise works as good as any. I think that's what you said you're using. If tools were about need, I wouldn't have all the ones I do.

I don't know, I still think there's room to create a better mouse trap, all of this old technology is cool and I love it, but I just have to believe that magnets are a better solution. One day I might make one, not sure. I don't know too much about the Grammercy vises and/or where they're made, and honestly have never even used one I don't think. So go figure...just that I have some Grammercy tools and everything I have gotten from Joel has been good. I bet he's sold a lot of them, and I would even bet he's sold a lot more than get actually used over time...Same with LV and LN, can you imagine how many tools those respective companies have sold that just sit and don't even get used? I bet it's a staggering number...

Have a great day...

PS - looks like someone local wants to buy it for $100, go figure...no shipping required...LOL