Woodnet Forums
Festool vs Makita Track saws - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Festool vs Makita Track saws (/showthread.php?tid=7368791)

Festool vs Makita Track saws - FireWood - 04-26-2022

Slightly different wrinkle on the age old question.

I want the functionality of a Festool HKC carpentry saw, but I really don't want do go down the road of another battery platform.

I already have a fair bit of corded Festools and tracks.  I have a plethora of cordless Makita stuff.

Could I use a cordless Makita track saw on a Festool FSK guide rail?  Would the retention system and springs work?

RE: Festool vs Makita Track saws - Cabinet Monkey - 04-26-2022

Don't know about the compatibility of the FSK rail with non FSK saws................................

but I do know that even if they are compatible - they are going to be too large and heavy to be of practical value.

RE: Festool vs Makita Track saws - joe1086 - 04-26-2022

Throwing this out there for the OP and others who may be in the market for track saws....

I'm a hobbyist and couldn't justify the costs of the Makita/DeWalt/Festool track saw systems. What I ended up with was the Wen corded saw and Powertec tracks. The Wen saw is about $100, the two 55" tracks are another $120, so I'm all in for $220 not including blades. The Wen blade is crapp and needs to be replaced but other than that it works great for me and costs significantly less that the others. 

Obviously the Wen is corded so not as convenient as a battery powered saw.

RE: Festool vs Makita Track saws - FireWood - 04-26-2022

(04-26-2022, 10:14 AM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: Don't know about the compatibility of the FSK rail with non FSK saws................................

but I do know that even if they are compatible - they are going to be too large and heavy to be of practical value.

Why is that?  Are the Makita saws heavier than the equivalent festool saws?

(04-26-2022, 11:36 AM)FireWood Wrote: Why is that?  Are the Makita saws heavier than the equivalent festool saws?

Because the reg. festool/makita tracksaws are a lot bigger , heavier and more powerful than the purpose built FSK saw.

If you need or want the capability of the FSK just get that.    

If it were simply a matter of the rail being the lion's share of the system , festool would have just offered that for their TS because their margin on "accessories" is much higher than a tool.

RE: Festool vs Makita Track saws - FireWood - 04-26-2022

(04-26-2022, 12:04 PM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: Because the reg. festool/makita tracksaws are a lot bigger , heavier and more powerful than the purpose built FSK saw.

If you need or want the capability of the FSK just get that.    

If it were simply a matter of the rail being the lion's share of the system , festool would have just offered that for thier TS because their margin on "accessories" is much higher than a tool.

Ahh.   I didn't realize that.   I think you just convinced me to get a corded FSK.

(04-26-2022, 02:18 PM)FireWood Wrote: Ahh.   I didn't realize that.   I think you just convinced me to get a corded FSK.

FWIW -  Metabo and Mafell also make versions of that system

RE: Festool vs Makita Track saws - rwe2156 - 04-28-2022

You're tied to duct collection then the cord is kind of moot, isn't it?

There is also the power issue if you're straight line ripping a bunch of boards.

Personally I would never buy one unless I was only using the bag, which isn't going to come close to a dust extractor.

RE: Festool vs Makita Track saws - barnowl - 05-01-2022

(04-28-2022, 09:10 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: You're tied to duct collection then the cord is kind of moot, isn't it?

THIS !!

Tie wrap the cord to the dust extractor hose.

Yes

RE: Festool vs Makita Track saws - EdL - 05-01-2022

Those are jobsite saws, made for angled rafter cuts, the short rail stays attached to the saw. Not really dc friendly when your 2 stories up in the rafters.

Ed