Woodnet Forums
Rectangle to Circular Outdoor Drain Adapter - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Rectangle to Circular Outdoor Drain Adapter (/showthread.php?tid=7369125)

Pages: 1 2

Rectangle to Circular Outdoor Drain Adapter - brnhornt - 05-16-2022

Hi gang,

Quick question.  Does anyone know of any company who makes a "down spout adapter" that is 5"x2" rectangle to 4" drain pipe?  I say down spout in quotes because I know it's not a common size and this isn't a downspout, but it's the easiest way to describe what I need to accomplish.  My problem is that my contractor left me with a 5x2 in rectangle-shaped water drainage slot in my patio.  I/we didn't think about the amount of water the patio would shed in a good rain storm and every time it's washing out the planting bed that it abuts to.  I tried installing a 4" drainage line with a ground-level grate, but the water, being water, just overcomes it and flows around it.  Google searching is failing me.  Do they even make that kind/size of an adapter?  Or, should I be looking at finding someone who could 3D print me one that would work?  I simply need one end to be a 5x2" rectangle and, in a matter of inches, the other end to be 4" diameter for a drainage pipe.

Thanks!
Kevin

RE: Rectangle to Circular Outdoor Drain Adapter - blackhat - 05-16-2022

I would likely try a short piece of an old tire tube first.

RE: Rectangle to Circular Outdoor Drain Adapter - MstrCarpenter - 05-16-2022

Another option would be a 2 liter soda bottle. The 5 x 2 end will be tight, you might have to lightly heat and stretch it. When it's on both, heat it up like shrink tubing.

RE: Rectangle to Circular Outdoor Drain Adapter - DieselDennis - 05-17-2022

Possible options:

Have an adapter 3D printed. May not be as crazy as you think.
Buy a rubber Fernco coupling and clamp it to fit. Maybe a 4 x 6 coupling. Maybe slide the 6" round side onto that 5 x 2?

5 x 2 is definitely an odd size. But if you were to know a business that deals with the things the 5 x 2 is, they may have something to adapt it to a 4" round.

RE: Rectangle to Circular Outdoor Drain Adapter - barnowl - 05-17-2022

(05-16-2022, 10:16 PM)brnhornt Wrote: Hi gang,

Quick question.  Does anyone know of any company who makes a "down spout adapter" that is 5"x2" rectangle to 4" drain pipe?  ....

Thanks!
Kevin

Scroll through these, and see if something will fit the bill....

https://www.google.com/search?q=rectangular+to+round+downspout+adapter&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS972US972&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjcq9eZvuf3AhXOj4kEHa-oCPAQ_AUoAnoECAEQBA&biw=1451&bih=710&dpr=2

RE: Rectangle to Circular Outdoor Drain Adapter - BrentDH - 05-18-2022

For my dust collection system I needed a 6" round pvc to a  4.75" square adapter.  In my case I just needed a square and wasn't picky about the size.  So I calculated the circumference of the 6" circle and converted it to the perimeter of a square.  If you do the same calculation for your sizes they are not too far off.  To make mine I made a plywood form the size of the square I wanted, heated the 6" round pvc pipe, and slowly pressed it into the form.  It turned out great.  If you want I can take some pictures of the form and the final fitting later this evening if it would help you visualize it.

RE: Rectangle to Circular Outdoor Drain Adapter - brnhornt - 05-18-2022

Thanks everyone for the replies.  Never would have thought to try and cut up a 2 liter bottle....and definitely never crossed my mind to whip up a quick form and use it to form my own....thanks again all!

RE: Rectangle to Circular Outdoor Drain Adapter - BrentDH - 05-19-2022

Here is the form and the finished product I made to create the round to square PVC adapter.   Ignore all that duct tape residue on the elbow.  That's embarrassing.  I should clean that off.

[attachment=42339]
[attachment=42340]

RE: Rectangle to Circular Outdoor Drain Adapter - FireWood - 05-19-2022

I'm sure your local HVAC house could fab up any size adapter you need

RE: Rectangle to Circular Outdoor Drain Adapter - brnhornt - 05-24-2022

(05-19-2022, 12:28 PM)BrentDH Wrote: Here is the form and the finished product I made to create the round to square PVC adapter.   Ignore all that duct tape residue on the elbow.  That's embarrassing.  I should clean that off.

That's really ingenious looking...thanks for sharing.

I realized I was over thinking the problem.  It's just drain water, never under pressure.  So I was walking around Home Depot just looking for ideas in the gutter section, and they sell a product called the dripper flipper (or something.)  Something you attach to your downspout to point the water away from your foundation, but you can "flip" it up when it comes time to mow so the mower can get underneath.  Either way....think of a thin PVC gutter-like material.  Brent's idea got me thinking so I brought it home and heated up one end to flatten out the shape from the manufacturer, and then a second time to form the "bottom half of a rectangle" shape I needed.  A little loctite adhesive later and it's attached to the opening in the paver wall.  The other end, I simply pressed together slightly and slid into the 4" drain pipe.  So effectively it's just a little length of "gutter" carrying the water from the patio over to the drain.  A day after I finished we had a massive thunderstorm and rain shower.  Ran out with an umbrella and was happy to see it was chugging along with no issues.  Thanks again everyone!