Woodnet Forums
Finish sanding process for oil poly? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Finish sanding process for oil poly? (/showthread.php?tid=7369174)

Pages: 1 2

Finish sanding process for oil poly? - ®smpr_fi_mac® - 05-19-2022

I don't have a proper finishing booth so dust and bugs find their way on to my finish. 

Last coat is down but had dust nibs and several gnats. I hit it lightly with 600g and now it's smooth but there are scratches here and there

What further steps do I need to take for a smooth, satin finish?

RE: Finish sanding process for oil poly? - jteneyck - 05-19-2022

(05-19-2022, 06:57 AM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I don't have a proper finishing booth so dust and bugs find their way on to my finish. 

Last coat is down but had dust nibs and several gnats. I hit it lightly with 600g and now it's smooth but there are scratches here and there

0000 steel wool and soapy water or paste wax will give you a nice satin sheen.  If it's oak I'd use a synthetic pad or brass wool instead of steel wool, however, unless it's very well sealed.  Rub only with the grain. 

John

RE: Finish sanding process for oil poly? - BrentDH - 05-19-2022

John, you seem extremely knowledgeable on finishing (along with many other woodworking related topics).  Curious what you think of Behlen's Wool Lube for something like this?

RE: Finish sanding process for oil poly? - ®smpr_fi_mac® - 05-19-2022

(05-19-2022, 09:17 AM)jteneyck Wrote: 0000 steel wool and soapy water or paste wax will give you a nice satin sheen.  If it's oak I'd use a synthetic pad or brass wool instead of steel wool, however, unless it's very well sealed.  Rub only with the grain. 

John

Will that remove the 600g marks I have?

RE: Finish sanding process for oil poly? - BrentDH - 05-19-2022

I have used Behlen's Wool Lube and 0000 steel wool after 400g sanding so it should definitely take out your 600g marks.

RE: Finish sanding process for oil poly? - ®smpr_fi_mac® - 05-20-2022

It worked, folks, thanks!  I put a strip of 0000 steel wool on my ROS, applied Johnson's Paste Wax to it, and attacked it. 

Then I let it sit for twenty minutes and then buffed it out.  Worked great. 

Thanks, again!

RE: Finish sanding process for oil poly? - jteneyck - 05-20-2022

(05-19-2022, 11:05 AM)BrentDH Wrote: John, you seem extremely knowledgeable on finishing (along with many other woodworking related topics).  Curious what you think of Behlen's Wool Lube for something like this?

Work at anything long enough and a few bits of wisdom eventually stick.  I've never used Behlen's Wool Lube but I think it would work well.  I've always either used paste wax or soapy water because I'm cheap and have both on hand.  

John

RE: Finish sanding process for oil poly? - jteneyck - 05-20-2022

(05-20-2022, 06:26 AM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: It worked, folks, thanks!  I put a strip of 0000 steel wool on my ROS, applied Johnson's Paste Wax to it, and attacked it. 

Then I let it sit for twenty minutes and then buffed it out.  Worked great. 

Thanks, again!

How did you hold the steel wood to the ROS?  Is there a type now with hook and loop?  Anyway, glad it worked out.  

John

RE: Finish sanding process for oil poly? - ®smpr_fi_mac® - 05-20-2022

(05-20-2022, 09:31 AM)jteneyck Wrote: How did you hold the steel wood to the ROS?  Is there a type now with hook and loop?  Anyway, glad it worked out.  

John

I unrolled a piece of it and pressed it to a velcro pad.  Once it was spinning, I would periodically pull off the parts that tried to get flung off until I was left with a layer of steel wool under the pad that remained.

RE: Finish sanding process for oil poly? - MichaelMouse - 05-25-2022

(05-19-2022, 06:57 AM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I don't have a proper finishing booth so dust and bugs find their way on to my finish. 

Pumice should equalize the surface at satin.  

Rottenstone for gloss.