Woodnet Forums
Cosman's AdjuSTAR - Improvement or Gimmick? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Cosman's AdjuSTAR - Improvement or Gimmick? (/showthread.php?tid=7369228)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Cosman's AdjuSTAR - Improvement or Gimmick? - Timberwolf - 05-24-2022

(05-24-2022, 07:08 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Not to worry too much about the wear, Jack. The planes may not be used much. (Oh, I need to be spanked for saying this!).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Winkgrin
Yes
Laugh

RE: Cosman's AdjuSTAR - Improvement or Gimmick? - CStan - 05-26-2022

If the depth adjuster knob is hard to turn, your lever cap pressure is too high.

RE: Cosman's AdjuSTAR - Improvement or Gimmick? - Derek Cohen - 05-26-2022

Exactly, Charles.

Regards from Perth

Derek

RE: Cosman's AdjuSTAR - Improvement or Gimmick? - Ricky - 05-26-2022

It may be an improvement but it looks goofy.  I don't have a problem with any of my stanleys.  I've heard some of the older ones
used smaller adjusters with worn knurling that are a hassle, but I don't own any pre-WII ones.
I can't imagine buying a premium LN plane then adding this abomination to it.  
Laugh

RE: Cosman's AdjuSTAR - Improvement or Gimmick? - Timberwolf - 05-26-2022

(05-26-2022, 12:04 PM)Ricky Wrote: It may be an improvement but it looks goofy.  I don't have a problem with any of my stanleys.  I've heard some of the older ones
used smaller adjusters with worn knurling that are a hassle, but I don't own any pre-WII ones.
Laugh
I have purchased old Stanley planes with the small knobs that were "frozen" and hard to turn, but that was from many years of non-use and the lube in the threads had oxidized and turned to varnish. Never bought one that I couldn't "free up" and make it work again smoothly...The very fine threads on the adjuster stud wears the brass wheel and causes a lot of backlash...I don't love that at all...A stainless steel wheel and stud would be a better option.

RE: Cosman's AdjuSTAR - Improvement or Gimmick? - CStan - 05-26-2022

(05-26-2022, 11:17 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Exactly, Charles.

Regards from Perth

Derek

It's also the reason lateral adjustment levers get loose and floppy.

RE: Cosman's AdjuSTAR - Improvement or Gimmick? - AHill - 05-26-2022

(05-26-2022, 12:04 PM)Ricky Wrote: It may be an improvement but it looks goofy.  I don't have a problem with any of my stanleys.  I've heard some of the older ones
Laugh

I'm surprised Cosman didn't solve the problem with hockey tape.

RE: Cosman's AdjuSTAR - Improvement or Gimmick? - Ricky - 05-26-2022

(05-26-2022, 04:32 PM)AHill Wrote: I'm surprised Cosman didn't solve the problem with hockey tape.

Laugh

RE: Cosman's AdjuSTAR - Improvement or Gimmick? - Ricky - 06-01-2022

Oops, I take that back.  Upon further research I just noticed my favorite plane (a Stanley/Bailey jack) is pre-WWII.  Type 13 made in the 30's .
Never imagined it was that old. The adjuster works smooth and easy.

RE: Cosman's AdjuSTAR - Improvement or Gimmick? - Arlin Eastman - 06-01-2022

(05-26-2022, 11:17 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Exactly, Charles.

Regards from Perth

Derek

How do I know if it is to tight or to light?  If I need to move it I just loosen the screws and adjust and then tighten them back.  I guess it was from a long time ago the frog was moving all over the place and when I finally got it right I snugged it down and have been doing it that way ever since.   So hence my question.